cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I calibrate my canon pixma pro 100 to match my monitor

cliffcleland
Apprentice

65 REPLIES 65

I would add to this advice... when you click on "set" as per above, before trying pattern matching see if Clicking on "Matching" and setting it to "None" helps

That is the worst advice Ihave ever heard.

Ffirst, you need a decent monitor. It does not have to be super expensive. Personally I use Eizo but you do not have to spend that much. But it does need to be able to have good color display abilities. Next, as someone else here said, do not set it too bright. I set mine to 110. Next, get a calibration device and calibrate your monitor. This is essentil so you start with accurate colors to begin with.

After you get your image looking the was you want it in Photoshop, go to View- Softproof an select the icc profile for the paper you are using, like Canon Heaveyweight Glossy and hit enter. You may see a slight shift in the image as that is what it will look like at your present settings. Then adjust the image back to what you wanted and select print. 

Whe the print window opens go to print properties and set it to-Let Photoshop Manage Colors. Be sure to set printer mangment to NONE as shown in one of the other replies here. This will prevent double profiling where the ICC profile conflicts with the printers profile which causes a Magenta or Reddish look. Set Quality to High and then print.

I use a Canon iPF6100 and the new canon Pro-1000 whike is a little gem.  Have studied printing at the Lepp institute and taking master clases with c

Charlie Cramer and never have they said to match your monitor to your printer. Your printer should be doing what it is told to do, not the other way around

Canon Professional Services Gold member. Master printer. Wildlife photographer.
Cameras: Canon 5DSr, 5D MkIII, 7D MkII and a pile of lenses.
Monitors: Eizo CG248 4K, Eizo CG241W
Printers: Imageprograf iPF6100, Imageprograf Pro1000

My post was directed to eBiggs, not jrhoffman75

"That is the worst advice Ihave ever heard."

Then don't take it!  Smiley Surprised

Most people don't have the highly touted credentials you have but I suggest you not wave them too high until you know the other party.  It just may surprise you.

Most people don't understand how to calibrate a monitor. Or calibrate a printer.  Most people don't even want to. Most people don't want to buy any calibrating tools. Most people just want to print nice photos.  Maybe they shouldn't buy this level of printer?  My way is an easy inexpensive way to get a decent print.  Canon sets their printer and supplies to a standard.

It will print well as it comes from the box.  You just need to know the differences.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would never have replied, except I accidentally clicked on Kudo for EBiggs - and can't seem to undo it.

His advice, which he repeats ad lib, is counter to the advice of every good photographer and printer that I've ever met.

That's like adjusting your speedometer so that it reads what you want at the speed you want to drive. 

As a note to the original poster. If you want to try printing on some of the metallic pearl papers on a Canon printer then use the ICC. profile for Canon Heavyweight Glossy II. It works perfectly. Custom profiles made from the xRite or DataColor devices always seem to make muddy looking prints.

eBiggs: You may be right. My method is only good if you want high quality prints that exactly match what you wanted to see. I do believe that MOST people want great prints.

Thanks for setting me straight.

"Thanks for setting me straight."

No problem, my pleasure, Mr. Master Printer and Gold CPS member.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, my mistake. Thought the forum title was Professional Photo Printers. I must have entered the wrong area.

To the ping pong players that made me smile... Can I just hire any of you guys to come help me do this please!? anyone in NJ, near Montclair????

Announcements