cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zombie Pro 100, there but not there

Sensel
Contributor

I learned from Canon that the Pixma Pro 100 can vanish from the network on OS X if something goes wrong in printing. This would be for an ethernet connected printer (that is how mine is hooked up) but, may also impact Wi-Fi as well.

I was printing a file and the job never made it (later, I was able to print it fine so, I have no idea what caused it to poop out). Anyway, when I went to try again, no matter what I did, the printer was stuck in yellow mode (sorry, I forget what that is called but, in Printers and Scanners in System Prefs, green means the printer is on and idle and red means offline). I pressed the power button and restarted, I did a restart using the software, I tried it all. Nothing would allow me to print.
The fix was simple but, unless you called Canon, you might give up and ship the printer back or trash it! Never to buy Canon printers again… (customers are touchy that way…)
In Printers and Scanners in System Prefs, just remove the printer and add it back on using the minus and plus buttons. That is it. It should work now.

Canon, of course, blames Apple. But it is really Canon's problem. I say this because, I have a really old and not very good Samsung laser and it just keeps working fine. It is via USB to an Airport and Samsung is not the best company for keeping old stuff up to date or up in any way. I also have an older but very well made Xerox color laser, also on the network direct via eithernet (just like the Canon). Never a glitch. Ever.
This sort of zombie printer issue has never impacted those old printers.
Apple will never fix an issue that impacts one printer or one brand. Why? Becaue if a thousand other printers do not have this issue, it is the brand or model that has the glitch, not Apple!
Canon should fix this, so more days and hours are not wasted on bad code they dump on customers.
It seems like it is one of the most fundamental things a printer maker should ensure works and never stalls out and, essentially, locks up: printing.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements