cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What printer should I get? - Professional Printer Recommendations

Blumer
Apprentice

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new printer to replace my Epson 3800. I have been using the 3800 just to print on notecard sized paper.

I have a small shop where I create fine art prints for my clients, and I have a Canon pro 4000 for my full size prints. (and I am loving this printer!!)

The Epson has done a fine job, but now the heads are clogging and a power cleaning does not solve it. The closest repair place is a 3 hour drive away, plus the printer is around 9-10 years old and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have a new head installed.

Plus, I am a bit peeved at Epson anyway because of their lack of customer support, but that's a whole story in itself...

So, anyway I want a professional grade printer to print my notecards on, and would like any opinions as to what printer would do a good job. I see Canon has the P800 printer, but like the Epson 3800 I'm wondering if either printer is a bit overkill just for printing notecards on.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All but the Pro-100 are pigment printers. The Pro-100 is a dye ink printer.

I believe the Ro-1000 will take larger than 13x19; the other three models top out at 13x19.

Not 100% sure, but I believe multiple feed is governed by paper weight, not size.

You might want to give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and discuss with them. You might be able to send them some paper and they could print a test image from all four printers.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Blumer
Apprentice

Hi all since there has been no reply yet, I'm going to try it one more time...

I am looking to purchase a new printer to replace my Epson 3800. I have been using the 3800 just to print on notecard sized paper.

I have a small shop where I create fine art prints for my clients, and I have a Canon pro 4000 for my full size prints. (and I am loving this printer!!)

The Epson has done a fine job, but now the heads are clogging and a power cleaning does not solve it. The closest repair place is a 3 hour drive away, plus the printer is around 9-10 years old and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have a new head installed.

Plus, I am a bit peeved at Epson anyway because of their lack of customer support, but that's a whole story in itself...

So, anyway I want a professional grade printer to print my notecards on, and would like any opinions as to what printer would do a good job. I see Canon has the P800 printer, but like the Epson 3800 I'm wondering if either printer is a bit overkill just for printing notecards on.

Thoughts?

For $130 after rebate you can get a Pixma PRO-100. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for the reply John,

I've looked at the Canon site and used the compare function for the Pixma Pro 1, Pro-10, Pro-100 & Pro1000.

It's hard to tell what the difference really is using their compare function! I believe that some of the differences are the size of the ink tanks they will accept, but I'm not even positive of that.

I have to admit I was looking at the Pro-1000, but at $1200 I was wondering if it really is worth the extra $. I currently have an Epson 3800 that was doing a great job but the nozzles are clogged, and the closet repair plavce for me is a 3 hour drive each way.
We plan on having the 3800 repaired, but I've been so happy with my Canon Pro 4000 that I am now considering the table top canon.

I print fine art notecards, and my clients are generally very critical about matching color, so print quality is very importmant. 

The other factor besides print quality would be the ease of use for feeding a custome size paper in the slot or tray. (Can you place a stack of custom sized paper in the tray, or do you have to feed one piece at a time?)

Can you help me answer any of these questions?

Thanks again,

Rick

Momenst in Art

All but the Pro-100 are pigment printers. The Pro-100 is a dye ink printer.

I believe the Ro-1000 will take larger than 13x19; the other three models top out at 13x19.

Not 100% sure, but I believe multiple feed is governed by paper weight, not size.

You might want to give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and discuss with them. You might be able to send them some paper and they could print a test image from all four printers.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks John for the info!

gparvan
Contributor

Blumer, which printer did you end up purchasing?  My 3800 has one foot near the garbage can and I'm thinking of pro1000 but I have a couple hundred dollars in Epson paper.  

I ended up going with the Pro1000.

I don't own it now because my business partner & I dissolved the partnership, I have a Canon ProGraf 4000 and she kept the Pro1000.

But, I was very happy with the Pro1000, it did an excellent job and is is extremely dependable.
I don't think I had ever experienced a clogged nozzle, and the printer would sit idle for a week or two at times. I used Epson papers for most of the print jobs I ran through the 1000 and it worked vert well!

Thank you for the info.  I bought the PRO-1000 a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier!  Thanks again!

Announcements