cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to print A3+ on fine art paper

Chiotas
Contributor

Hello,

I own a marvelous Pro-1 printer, and it works extremely fine but I have one issue: if I try to print on A3+ paper on FineArt paper, I get error code 88.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Note that every driver/firmware/software is up to date.

I use Print Studio Pro 1.3 on OSX 10.9.1

Best regards

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Error Code: 88 The media type and paper size are not set correctly. Cancel printing, correct the settings, and print again.

If you selected Fine Art "Photo Rag" as the media type, you need to set the paper size appropriate to the art paper.

The reason that Canon enforces wide margins on fine art settings is that they cannot guarantee a smudge-free print at the edges when printing on fine art paper.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry, I forgot to write that:

- Media type slected correctly

- Paper size set correctly

- It happens only with A3+ (A3 and A4 works fine)

It seems to be a driver bug

It is not a driver bug!  It is................

Canon enforces wide margins on fine art settings because they cannot guarantee a smudge-free print at the edges when printing on fine art paper.

Now you may find other paper manufacturers profiles that do not have this limitation but Canon sees it as necessary.

EB

Sorry, probably my english is poor, but I probably don't understand:

- I select the right media support (Fine art paper 1 or 2) according to the manual

- I select A3+ size (Hahnemulhe or Canon paper, same problem)

- I select 30mm white margin, as required by Canon

- I select the Canon ICC profile for the used paper

- It works with A4 and A3 paper

- It works with not fine art paper and A3+ sized paper

Canon reports that this printer can print on A3+ sized fine art paper under Mac OS X 10.9, but actually it doesn't.

OK, sorry for the confusion so here goes.

The problem is with the setting "Fine Art Paper".

Although the printer will print full size on A3+, A3, A4 or whatever is will not do so on Fine Art Paper at A3+.

It has to do with the quality of the finished print and smudges at the edges of the paper and the absorption rate of the paper.

You may find other profiles that do not have this limitation.

EB

I have this same problem. But you may be misunderstanding the op. We get that canon wants the margins enforced for art papers. The issue is that even when margins are set correctly, the driver won't print, and gives the error. This is an issue introduced between apple and canon in 10.9. Prior to update I had no problem. I found this on canon Asia site.

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8202137700.html

Open custom settings in printer utility and you can turn off the margin check

Chiotas
Contributor
Hello,
Try to update the firmware/drivers. The issue was solved with an firmware/driver update some months ago.

Yes - first thing i did after I revived it - clogged printhead. I figured must be solved by now. downloaded and installed 11.7.0 from canonusa and same problem. at least there's a workaround. The driver reports the correct dimensions to lightroom so page setup is still correct.

There must be some difference betwween clean installs and migrated configurations.

thanks for reply

Announcements