Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

UPS use with pixma pro 100

Is it safe and recommended to use a UPS with the pro 100?  I know you shouldn't use it with a laser printer, am unsure if ok with a big inkjet. It would be the only device on the UPS. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS use with pixma pro 100

If everything else powers off on loss of outside power what is the purpose of keeping the printer powered on?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
New Contributor

I have heard that every time the printer is unplugged from power (I assume a power outage would be equivalent), the printer does a large cleaning cycle, wasting a lot of ink.  Not only is the ink expensive to waste, but the ink waste pad, once filled, is not user-replaceable.  We have short power outages here several times a year, so I was hoping a UPS would protect the printer from most of them.

Esteemed Contributor

What you say is generally true, but I wouldn't worry about several (6 or so) a year.

Deinitely keep it plugged in all the time. Since my printer is connected by wifi it never goes Auto Off - stays on all the time. More important is to print at least a page every two days. If printer goes unused for more that a period of time (I believe it is 60 hours) it does a cleaning cycle as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
New Contributor

Thanks for your advice!  I do plan to try to prevent those 60 hour cleaning cycles.