cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS use with pixma pro 100

Pamela2
Apprentice

Is it safe and recommended to use a UPS with the pro 100?  I know you shouldn't use it with a laser printer, am unsure if ok with a big inkjet. It would be the only device on the UPS. 

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If everything else powers off on loss of outside power what is the purpose of keeping the printer powered on?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have heard that every time the printer is unplugged from power (I assume a power outage would be equivalent), the printer does a large cleaning cycle, wasting a lot of ink.  Not only is the ink expensive to waste, but the ink waste pad, once filled, is not user-replaceable.  We have short power outages here several times a year, so I was hoping a UPS would protect the printer from most of them.

What you say is generally true, but I wouldn't worry about several (6 or so) a year.

Deinitely keep it plugged in all the time. Since my printer is connected by wifi it never goes Auto Off - stays on all the time. More important is to print at least a page every two days. If printer goes unused for more that a period of time (I believe it is 60 hours) it does a cleaning cycle as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your advice!  I do plan to try to prevent those 60 hour cleaning cycles.

Announcements