cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Wireless Color Professional Inkjet Printer?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello,

I am looking into getting a color printer for my photos.

Wondering if anyone could give me some ideas and suggestions on which printer to purchase? I was looking at 

Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Wireless Color Professional Inkjet Printer.

Thank you,

LV

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Excellent printer made even better when you can get it when Canon is running its frequent rebate programs. 

Google Canon Pixma Pro-100 rebate deals

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Is the Pro-100 or Pro-10 better?

Thanks,

LV

The Pro-10 is a pigment ink printer; Pro-100 dye ink.

For color prints on glossy paper dye inks are generally prefered. Pigment inks are generally better for matte papers and monochrome prints. Pigment inks are solid particles suspended in a liquid, so they are prone to plugging if you don't print frequently.

Dye prints are a colored liquid, so they are less prone to plugging.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you! I don't assumed you can print metal printing with any of the mentioned printers?

LV

Metal no. Metallic paper yes with the Pro-100; not sure about the Pro-10.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

There are companies (e.g. Aluminyze is one) which uses special printers to print on sheets of aluminum (and it's a thick sheet ... it's not really flexible).  

This creates some confusion becuase there's a type of paper called "metallic" which isn't actually metal at all... it's paper that has a pearlescent shimmer quality (as if it's been coating with a fine metallic layer).  

Keep in mind there is no such thing as "white" ink.... anywhere in your photo where things should appear white or nearly white, the printer doesn't apply ink (or applies very little ink) and this means you're really seeing the paper.  Anywhere an image is dark means the printer applies a heavy amount of ink to cover the paper.

When you print on "metallic" (pearlescent) papers, you see these interesting specular highlights that normal paper doesn't have.

Lots of different vendors make a metallic paper and they're not all the same.  Most companies offer a sample pack (usually not very expensive) which has a couple of sheets of each of their papers so you can test them, get a feel for how that paper looks... and then select the papers you like for your prints.

I find there is no "best" paper... it's just a matter of what you want to convey.  For example if I want something to look exciting then maybe I go from strong jammy colors on glossy papers ... and maybe I even explore papers such as metallic finish papers.  But if I want something to convey a soft and gentle sense of beauty, maybe I used subdued colors (think pastel-like) and maybe I use a matte finish.  Basically these selections will change the mood or emotion of the print to go with the mood or emotion of your image.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Per my understanding this printer only print max size of 13x19 inches. The photos I am taken are from the Canon 5Ds, and I would like to print larger prints, and some panoramic prints such as 20x40 or larger. Not sure if this is something supported with this printer?  Also, curious how many prints on 13x19 before the ink cattridges need to be replaced?

Thank you,

LV

You could calculate 13x19 from here. 

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/canon-pro-100-cost-of-printing-details.html

I think maximum custom size is around 14x23. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

You could print panels... (e.g. some people will divide their image into sections, print each section, frame each separately, and then hang them on the wall (so it isn't really one print).

If you want a single 20x40... you need a bigger printer.  

These larger printers are typically floor-standing printers and they can accept "roll" stock... so now it's really all about the width because the roll allows you to print any length.

These printers are in a price category of around $2k and up ... which means it's probably not economical unless you plan to make large printers somewhat regularly (e.g. if you exhibit and sell your work).  

These large format printers are really *just* large format.  While you can make small prints on things like the Pro-100... these large format printers typically have a minimum with (probably no stock less than 8" wide can be used.)

I don't print large stuff often enough to justify ownership, so anything bigger than my PRO-10 can produce would be sent to a lab.   If I *really* want to make it myself, there's a local photography school that rents out their space to area photographers... but they also own a number of these large format printers and photographers can rent usage on them.  (I've not done this myself.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements