cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra breaks IPF8000 printing

markart
Contributor

After installing Mac OS 10.12 Sierra my IPF8000 no longer prints. I installed the driver using the method that worked fine with El Capitan and was able to add the printer in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. The ImagePROGRAF Printmonitor opens as it should and the image file is listed but the message in the printmonitor window says "Printer not connected." Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a work-around? Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

I just checked and I installed Sierra on 3 November. Since then I have printed heaps of pictures, so definitely have printed with the 8000 with Sierra.

Hello,

I'm just finding this thread. I've recently come into an Ipf8000 and am running Sierra 10.12.5.  I've been attempting to get a driver that wiull work but have been unsuccessful. Could you illuminate me as to how you wnet about getting your Mac running 10.12.5 to drive your Canon IPF 8000? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Joe Malina

Hi Joe,

I wasn't able to print at all after upgrading to Sierra. I had to revert back to El Capitan - not an easy transition but at least the printer was working.  A couple of months ago I replaced the old iMac with new one that unfortunately will only run Sierra. I was prepared to use an older iMac just for printing, however after I migrated data from the backup to the new machine the printer worked fine with Sierra.  I have no idea why. Perhaps the migration process placed the printer software where it needed to be to be recognized by the OS. This may not have happened during the previous OS upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra.

So this is what worked for me: I started with the clean install of Sierra that was preloaded on the new iMac. Then migrated settings, applications, documents, etc. from a backup of the previous computer running El Capitan that was set up to print to the ipf8000. Crossed my fingers, held my breath, rotated in my office chair 3 times, opened Photoshop and pressed the print button in the Canon plugin. It worked!!!

You might try this. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck,

Paul

Any luck solving the printing problem.  I'm curious about the setup that allowed printing from Sierra at all. Did you upgrade from El Capitan or do a clean install?

Happy holidays!

Hi Michael, Can you give us any updates on what is going on with the 8000 and Sierra?

seandavey1
Contributor
Hi Markart, it was an upgrade from El Capitan. I think the problem may have been caused by a Creative Ckiud Lightroom update. No resolution I'm afraid. I'll be buying an old iMac and running it as a dedicated computer for the printer, networking it to my working computer. Won't do anything until the new year now. No word back on this thread from Canon.....

seandavey1
Contributor
I got myself hold of an old iMac and installed mountain lion. I'm going to use this computer as a dedicated print computer. Mountain lion is the most recen OS X that I could see with available drivers for the ipf8000. I downloaded adobe cc with Lightroom and photoshop. Haven't hooked it all up yet but I think this Will be the easiest option. I'll network the computers so I can access files from my main computer and then just print them from the iMac.

Sounds like a workable solution. I don't understand how you could print fine with Sierra and then have it suddenly fail.

I just tried upgrading to Sierra on an external drive runnning El Capitan again without success printing to the ipf8000. El Capitan is fine for printing. I'm using an install method given to me by a Canon tech several years ago as follows

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 10.30.10 PM.png

I really have no idea either how I was able to print using Sierra.... As mentioned , I re-checked the the last software update (to Sierra) and that update was a while ago. I definitly did numerous prints with this software....

The printer is now working with the Imac (just set it up today) and everything is running smoothly.... Thanks for that info, if I upgrade to El Capitan, I'll use it, but I think I'll just leave it as it is now.

Announcements