cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Using Lightroom and Print Studio Pro

JamesHarris
Apprentice

I want to use Print Studio pro via the lightroom plugin since as I understand it, that is the only way to ensure a 16-bit file is being passed to the printer (on Windows).  However, I am a little confused about how the image is being rendered.  Is lightroom applying a default output sharpening to the file before handing it off to Print Studio Pro or Does Print Studio Pro manage resolution and Output sharpening based on the media and print size you choose?  

So basically I am wondering if there is any output sharpening being applied, and when is it applied.  The possibilities I think would be:

1. Lightroom is applying a default output sharpening when rendering the file to TIF for Print Studio Pro (If this is the case, what setting is being applied and is it possible to change it?)
  2. Print Studio Pro is applying output sharpening based on media type and print size, or applying a generiz amount of sharpening that does not take into account media or size.
  3. No Sharpening is being applied.  In this case, I should probably be exporting this file manually with output sharpening applied and then opening in Print Studio Pro

The other question I have is if when using the plugin is the TIF file that is being generated in 16-bit pro-photo to ensure the maximum amount of color data?

Because if Print Studio Pro is not applying sharpening I think it may just be better to print through the lightroom tool even though it renders down to 8-bit because the amount of control I have via the lightroom print module would be far more advantageous than any color data I am losing by printing in 8-bit.

Anyone know the answer to all this?

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I had similar questions when I first got my Pro-100.

1. You can call up PSP from any module, so I assume it is ignoring print module settings.

2. If I select a Saved Print, which adjusts the print module settings specific to that print, and the open PSP the paper settings in PSP are not what is in LR, supporting the "ignore" conclusion.

3. I ran some test prints using LR to print at three different output sharpening settings (Off, Standard, High) to ensure I could see a difference (I did).

4. I ran four test prints: LR-Standard, XPS driver, LR-Standard regular driver, PSP using standard driver and PSP using XPS driver. I couldn't see any difference between the four prints.

Since LR is such an easy printing process I haven't seen a reason to use PSP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

When you do prints in lightroom, do you have lightroom manage the color or do you let the printer do it?

I have LR manage the printing.  I select "None" in Color Mangement in printer driver and then choose ICC profile in LR.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Since LR is such an easy printing process I haven't seen a reason to use PSP"

Ditto.  Smiley Happy

And Photoshop is even better.  Just make sure you turn off any printer applied settings. All color management should be done in LR or PS.

Also in PS, you can use Match Colors.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements