cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 terrible disk printing color cast

deepbluejh
Contributor

I am getting a terrible yellow/orangecolor cast when printing disks on my Pro100 printer.  I'm using the latest Easy Photoprint EX software on Windows 7 64-bit to print on Verbatim AquaAce Glossy disks.  These disks printed beautifully on the Epson Artisan 730 printer I used to own.  Literally no color issues ever.  However on the Pro-100 prints them up borderline unusable.

All other prints from the printer on regular and photo paper turn out perfectly.  I've literally never owned a printer with output this good - except for the disks.  I'm using the "Printable Disk (recommended)" setting with print quality set to "high".

The Photoprint software has ZERO color controls so I am unable to correct the color cast in software.  What's going on here?  Do I have any other options to try and fix this?

23 REPLIES 23

OK, that looks good but the room does seem to have a yellowish cast at least on my monitor.  Maybe that gets exaggerated on the DVD's?

Are you applying any correction of color in PS that may have an impact on the DVD printing?  I am assuming you have the correct settings done in the printer.  All printer color handling is turned off?

Is this a still photo or a grab from a video sequence?

BTW, it is a great shot!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, this is a fully color corrected image from a 5DIII RAW file.  The image itself is pretty close to neutral, color wise, with perhaps a very slight warm/red color cast.  However what prints up is a very yellow image.

It's not just this image either.  Every disk I've printed on the printer (4-5 disks at this point) has turned out with heavy yellow casts - even pictures taken outside in perfectly neutral daylight.  The same images printed on paper turn out spot-on.

Digging into the settings a little bit more, I found a color adjustment setting in the software:

Edit > Correct/Enhance images > Manual > Advanced

I can probably tweak the color a little using these settings to get an output close which is close to accurate.  It would be nice if I didn't have to though.

At this point you have me at a loss.  I can not determine whether it is your printer or your computer or your method.

I just don't have enough infomation.  Off the top, I would say is is your computer or your routine since we know the printer is printing good quality paper prints.  It must work?

It is not the disks.

That leaves a setting or something in the computer or your routine.

Sorry I am of little help.

EB

omarvzqz
Apprentice

Hello,

I have two beautiful Pixma Pro-100s and they print beautifully. I began printing blank discs and have encountered the same issue as deepbluejh. Was it ever figured out? I have tried two softwares, the two Pixma Pro-100 printers, two different brands of discs, as well as a variety of settings. Thirteen discs later, I am still getting the color incorrect with a bit of yellow. Also, I tried printing vibrant reds and they do not come close to the paper photo printing. I wish there was a magic wand. I have been attempting to correct the color for about 20 non-consecutive hours. Please email me if there is a solution so I can enjoy my sleep. Thank you.

Omar

[removed per forum guidelines]

omarvzqz,

Does this issue only occur with your disk media?  Try printing on photo paper to narrow down the cause of the issue.

If printouts appear more accurate on photo paper, try using a different type or brand printable disk media to narrow down the cause of your issue.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Revisiting this thread after a couple years....

I can confirm the Pixma Pro 100 printer prints beautifully on photographic paper with no discernable color cast.  It is only the disks that print with a nasty yellow color cast.

"It is only the disks that print with a nasty yellow color cast."

Change brands of the disks.  Just like all photo paper requires the proper profile so do the disks.  They all don't print the same.  You may have to alter the color with software on your computer like PS or some other editor.

EB

I've used multiple different kinds of disks with the exact same result.

Honestly, I'm over it.  I love this printer, but simply not for printing disks.  There is a bug somewhere and unfortunately no one at Canon seems serious about fixing it so I have simply moved on.

"There is a bug somewhere ...."

There is no bug.  It is the fault of the disks.  You need to make adjustments in your post editor.  The printer has no idea what it is printing on.  It has no idea what color cast the disk or paper has.  That is why there are so many profiles for all the different papers.  Unfortunately there are no profiles for disks.

"...no one at Canon seems serious about fixing..."

As to this part, you are correct depending on which one you get.  If you get a bad one hang up and call back.  You will get a different one.  I have had great ones that really try to help and I have gotten the duds like you obliviously did.  It happens!

EB

My printer has just developed the same colour cast issue.  I'm using the same brand of discs I've always used and until now, they've always worked fine.  I even cut out some fake CD shapes from plain and photo paper, and the yellow colour cast was evident on them as well.  Print the same image as just a plain print, and the colours are fine.

That would imply something has gone wrong with the Canon print application.  I shall try a uninstall and re-install to see if it improves.

Announcements