cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 100 color management

halcyong
Apprentice

Color/Intensity settings in the printer driver for the Pro 100 allows Auto or Manual to be selected.  If Manual is chossen, one has the option of selecting Driver MatchingWhat is the difference between Auto and Driver Matching?  I assume both choices use the same printer/paper ICC profiles.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you select Auto the printer manages color and selects the appropriate Canon ICC profile for the selected Canon media. 

If Manual is selected you would want to select None and then you would have your Photo software like Lightroom or Photoshop manage color. Then you could select Canon or third party paper ICC profiles. 

Driver Matching would use any adjustments to color/contrast/brightness that you made in the driver. 

Download and and read the Online Manual from the Canon website. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Canon manual is confusing and in some case missleading when it comes to color management settings.

I believe, but am not sure, that Auto is the same as printing from Photoshop CC except for it uses Windows CMM or ICM rather than the Adobe Color Engine or ACE.  For one way transforms, ICM and ACE produce about the same results, so there is no clear advantage to using Photoshop to manage color.  A comparison of ICM and ACE is provided here: http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/icm-vs-ace/ .

For Driver Matching, this is still sort of a mystery.  The printer manual has the following entry:

'Driver Matching
Print in PRO mode.
For information about PRO mode, see "Adjusting Colors with the Printer Driver." '

And another entry in the printer manual states the following: "When PRO Mode is selected for images whose color space is other than sRGB, Print Studio Pro converts it to an appropriate color space automatically."  Not sure what an appropriate color space is or just what Driver Matching does.

I never let the printer make any printing decisions.

I select "Manual->Matching->None" in the driver and choose the appropriate ICC profile in my printing software, even when using Canon paper and profiles.

2017-08-29.png

That eliminates all questions about what the various driver options are doing.

I test print each new paper by printing the Outback Photo test print.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Janeames
Apprentice

Ok totally confused here.   Where do you go see the Printer Management profiles?  If I am in ps or lr it asks whether I want to use lr or ps printer profiles.  I think I probably not want to use the printer management profiles but like to know how to access them.

also in ps print settings, in the color management section, I have an alert saying "remember to enable the printers color management in the print settings dialogue box."  It stays on regardless or whether I select "printer manages color" or "ps manages color" Can someone help? 

Mac or PC computer. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements