Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Pro 100 color management

Color/Intensity settings in the printer driver for the Pro 100 allows Auto or Manual to be selected.  If Manual is chossen, one has the option of selecting Driver MatchingWhat is the difference between Auto and Driver Matching?  I assume both choices use the same printer/paper ICC profiles.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pro 100 color management

[ Edited ]

If you select Auto the printer manages color and selects the appropriate Canon ICC profile for the selected Canon media. 

If Manual is selected you would want to select None and then you would have your Photo software like Lightroom or Photoshop manage color. Then you could select Canon or third party paper ICC profiles. 

Driver Matching would use any adjustments to color/contrast/brightness that you made in the driver. 

Download and and read the Online Manual from the Canon website. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
New Contributor

Canon manual is confusing and in some case missleading when it comes to color management settings.

I believe, but am not sure, that Auto is the same as printing from Photoshop CC except for it uses Windows CMM or ICM rather than the Adobe Color Engine or ACE.  For one way transforms, ICM and ACE produce about the same results, so there is no clear advantage to using Photoshop to manage color.  A comparison of ICM and ACE is provided here: http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/icm-vs-ace/ .

For Driver Matching, this is still sort of a mystery.  The printer manual has the following entry:

'Driver Matching
Print in PRO mode.
For information about PRO mode, see "Adjusting Colors with the Printer Driver." '

And another entry in the printer manual states the following: "When PRO Mode is selected for images whose color space is other than sRGB, Print Studio Pro converts it to an appropriate color space automatically."  Not sure what an appropriate color space is or just what Driver Matching does.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I never let the printer make any printing decisions.

I select "Manual->Matching->None" in the driver and choose the appropriate ICC profile in my printing software, even when using Canon paper and profiles.

2017-08-29.png

That eliminates all questions about what the various driver options are doing.

I test print each new paper by printing the Outback Photo test print.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472