Did you mean: 

Pixma pro 100 replacement ink

Falket
Apprentice
Can anyone recommend peplacement inks for the puxms pro 100
9 REPLIES 9

the_traveler
Enthusiast

Just refilled with (Mod Note: Link removed per forum guidelines)  ink and the resulting prints are great.

I would suggest, besides a basic refill kit that you get 7 extra syringes and needles and a chip resetter. - and user disposable gloves.

The first refill is the hardest because you have to remove the plugs

That will make the workflow much easier and cleaner.

He send you a lot of paper.

It will all become sensible when you watch his videos..

I will append the notes I made for a friend in another answer.

Mike Lee's videos are excellent but there are some additional ideas that are good for a beginner.

The easiest part is the actual filling and the hardest part is getting that original ball plug out of the hole.

So, the first time is the hardest.

Additional items you should have handy and a few things that seemed critical to me.

• Use thin disposable gloves or end up with ink-stained hands.

• Have extra pushpins, if you heat them to form a hole in the original plug, the pushpins can deform.

• After you use the heated pushpin, let the ball cool for a bit before trying to screw in the little screw eye.

• Always use electrical tape to seal the vent on top before filling. Cellophane tape can be difficult to get off and tears.

• I bought (from Precision) and used separate syringes and needles for each color to avoid washing while working and minimize color pollution.

• The orange clamp has a rubber disk that is supposed to seal the ink access hole on the bottom. Well, it doesn't always seal. I used a nickel-sized piece of tissue on top of that plug and it caught all the ink that leaked.

• Always, always reset the chip first to minimize potential of spillage.
  • The original plug is under the QR code on top of the cartridge so without poking around I just sliced the plastic layer in that area off and all went well.
  • Reaming the filler hole with the 5/32 drill is crucial; that makes an easily and perfectly seal-able hole for the new plugs.

• Rinse out the syringe well and then, after blowing air out the needle to expel any water, leave the plunger and barrel separated to dry. I used filtered water to be certain there would be as little residue in the needle as possible.

Jason
Whiz

Hello, Falket!

The PIXMA PRO-100 uses the following inks:

• CLI-42 Cyan
    • CLI-42 Magenta
    • CLI-42 Yellow
    • CLI-42 Photo Cyan
    • CLI-42 Photo Magenta
    • CLI-42 Light Gray
    • CLI-42 Gray
    • CLI-42 Black

You can purchase them through our Canon Direct store here: http://bit.ly/1a2FSH9

Please note that Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Please note that Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers."

And neither do I, this is a prescription for disaster.  You next post will be, "Why is my printer not printing like it is supposed to."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Please note that Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers."

And neither do I, this is a prescription for disaster.  You next post will be, "Why is my printer not printing like it is supposed to."

@ebigg1

Perhaps you could share which 3d party inks you have tested and had trouble with?

I'm having great success printing with 3d party inks and the cost of Canon refills inks are quite high.

I worked for a large greeting card company located in Kansas City.  We are deeply involved in printing as one might suspect.  We tried every way to reduce printing costs at every level.

I can't give you a specific brand that was less than acceptable but none of them were on the same quality level as the original manufacturer.

Whether it fouled the printer or color was not matching or just plain a mess, we stopped trying as it was deemed not worthy.

I suppose if you are just a hobby user, more power to you. But if your job depends on it, I am still going to recommend real bonfide Canon brand ink.

There are several paper companies out there that meet and exceed Canon on paper.  So I do recommend people use them.  But they still must be checked out first.  But not ink.

I hope yours works out well for you.  Not for me.

EB

Perhaps you could make a post somehwere that tells which inks you tried that didn't work well, what printers they didn't work in and how they were not usable.

That might help the rest of us rather than a blanket condemnation of all 3d party inks for all printers.

I"ll tell you what, if you want to use any ink that siuts your fancy, you go right ahead.  But I have seen that some of them, at least, are not good in several ways.  If you have found one you like, I suggest you stick with it.  I will not be using any and I am still not going to recomend anyone else do either.

You either take advise or you don't.  It is up to you.

EB

I'm willing to take your advice, but it has to be based on something factual that I can understand.

What printers did you try the third party inks on and what inks didn't work?

Just vague allegations about an entire class of small business are very hard to accept as much as I might be willing to.

Announcements