cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 vs. Pixma Pro 10

phmassie
Apprentice

I'm lookingh for practicle information on the differences between the Pixma Pro 100 and the Pixma Pro 10.  I know the Pixma Pro 100 uses 8 dye cartridges and the Pixma Pro 10 uses 10 pigment cartridges.  I know the Pixma Pro 100 is faster at printing than the 10.  I'm looking for info on final print output.  I've heard that the dye is now suppose to have 100+ year life so longevity is close to pigments.  Is the Pixma Pro 100 better for landscapes and Pixma Pro 10 better for portraits of people?

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Probably the biggest difference is the ink. Plus the Pro-10 is much cheaper to use as the ink is less. It is, however, more expensive up front.

I doubt you are going to see a big difference in print quality from either as they both do a fantastic job.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do you know if the Pigment heads clog up easier if the printer isn't used daily? I heard of some issue with Pigments clogging heads if not used frequently. I would probably print once or twice per month.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective (most of my clients are requesting DVD's) I print only slightly more often than that. I use three printers and some don't get used very often. No problems,

EB

Tinman
Enthusiast

The B&W output of the Pro-100 can be a challenging affair. Otherwise the output of each is very good.

Nikon D600; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, 85mm f/1.8G, 70-300mmG f/4.5 - 5.6 VR

Thanks all... this is just what I needed to know.  I got the Pixma Pro 100 basically for free after rebate when I bought a new Canon Camera.  I just got the Pixma Pro 10 for $79 after rebate.  I was thinking of selling the 100 on Craiglist, but may end up keeping both of them.  The 100 will print jobs faster when the project is for things like sports banquits and the photos are typically discarded if not claimed by the players.  The 10 I can use for projects that need longer archival claims.

"The B&W output of the Pro-100 can be a challenging affair."

This is an observation, more than a published specification, but neither printer uses only the three 'black' cartridges to print B&W.

They mix chroma from the color cartridges and the B&W prints can come out tinted to a very small degree. Generally a warn tone. But sometimes greenish.

EB
Announcements