cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 printing setup error

mattsname
Apprentice

I'm new to printing, I just got my Pixma Pro and so far have had terrible results.  1/10 times I get beautiful prints, the rest are terrible, washed out and like they have a grey film on them.  I think its either a colour management or paper management issue. I'm trying to use 8.5 x 11 " Canon Pixma Photo Paper with Matte finish.  I'm printing with Photoshop. I have the same problem whether I click on Photoshop handle colour or Printer handle colour, but the 1/10 nice prints were acheived manually setting the paper to "glossy" under the print settings menu in Photoshop CS6 rather than selecting Matte which is what the obvious choice is.  

When I chose Photoshop handles colour management I get the same grey prints no matter what Printer Profile I select. Though it seems most logical to chose Matte Canon Pro - 100 <LU>  3 Photopaper because thats what I'm using, again the 1/10 nice prints were acheived selecting Photopaper Pro 3 <PT> Platinum.  

I don't understand how any of this works.  The picture I am trying to print is here, nice blues and greens. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27816471@N06/9076033417/in/set-72157634198994950 it just looks grey and washed out when I print, sort of like the printer is 1/2 out of ink but it says its not.  Blacks and greys are good.

what do I do?  I know its operator error but I can't re-produce any of the environment to get decent prints from this so i'm considering junking or returning. really dissapointed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is. (At least on the premium matte.) was there an approximately 3x4 info packet in the plastic sleeve the paper is packaged in?

The printing side should be slightly whiter and not quite as sooth as the back side. Very subtle.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It is very difficult to determine which side of the matte paper is the printing side.

Before you decide you have printer/printing problem get some glossy photo paper and try with that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

there is a printing side to the Matte paper???? 

duly noted with glossy paper

There is. (At least on the premium matte.) was there an approximately 3x4 info packet in the plastic sleeve the paper is packaged in?

The printing side should be slightly whiter and not quite as sooth as the back side. Very subtle.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The other thing to try is use Canon's Print Shop Pro plugin. Download the latest version from the Canon support website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_pro_series/pixma_pro_100...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I tried to install but doesn't seem to support PS CS6 or Lightroom 5.  Does that sound correct? 

tx i'm reading the instructions clearly and will let you know results!  

Davo123
Apprentice

I am not new to printing, have always used Canon Printers and loved them but I am having the same exact problem with my new Pro-1.  I cannot get a decent result on matte paper.  Am also using the a canon brand paper MP101.  I'm so frustrated/dissapointed. I could have written your post as I also have tried both letting Photoshop and the Printer handle the colour - no difference.  My images on matte paper are night and day compared to my Canon Pro-9000 printer that I have given away... Would give anything to have that old thing back.

I am waiting to hear back from Canon, I am prepared to have a consultant come to help me with the setup and hopefully sort this out. Will post what I find out!

Announcements