cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-1000 - New Print Head Required?

Frankel
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

My PRO-1000 is not printing yellow correctly - not enough yellow ink is being printed, and colors using yellow are obviously wrong.

The Nozzle Check Print confirms this - all colours are fine except Yellow which is very faint (you can't even see a grid pattern).

I've tried all the cleaning options (cleaning, deep cleaning and system cleaning) but it hasn't solved the problem.

My printer is out of warranty and the cost of a site visit plus a new print head will only be about 25% cheaper than buying a new printer.

I suspect a new print head will solve the problem, and I'm tempted to just buy one and see, but I'm not sure and don't want to waste money.

Does anyone here have any advice?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Frank.

10 REPLIES 10

elroustom
Contributor

Yes this began to happen to me after about a year of owning the printer - or at least that's when I noticed it. 

It usually happens when printing long sheets. The first 4-8 inches of the sheet are fine, but as the printing goes beyond that it's likely to turn magenta, and lose yellow. I'm covered by a retailer service policy. They just told me they'll be sending a techniciam with a new print head. But I've wasted a lot of ink and paper trying to figure this out. Very dissappointed with this Canon product. Expensive, slow, and hard to diagnose. But when it does print, it's outstanding. 

Hi elroustom,

Thanks for your reply.

My printer was out of warranty so I bought a new print head which solved the problem but only temporarily. In the end I gave up and bought another PRO-1000 - I'm hoping this one doesn't develop the same issue.

Another fault I found was that the spring mechanisms for holding/ejecting the ink cartridges are flimsy and break easily - it doesn't stop you loading/unloading but you have to use a knife or similar to remove the cartridges once the spring has gone.

Great print quality when working correctly but the build quality is not up to scratch for a PRO series printer in my opinion. Shame.

Frank.

I'm sorry to hear you had even more trouble.

I'll have to be on the look out. After how long of new installation of new print-head did problem recurr?

Do you have any theories on what might have caused the failure.

Could using uncoated sheets be a cause, do you use anything other than prepared for inkjet papers?

Too expensive to replace. I'm wondering why you bought another Canon, and hope you bought extended service.

By the way my Square Trade extended care is working for me, but they sure put you through the paces, you have to describe the problem over and over again at several stages. 

Thanks,

Elias

bhadresa
Contributor

Hi Frankel

Did you ever find the cause and solution for this? I'm having the exact same issue here in the UK. 

Also, are you using genuine Canon or third party inks?

Many thanks

Bhavin 

Hi Bhavin,

No. There must be a blockage of some sort that occurs and sometimes it just doesn't clear by itself.

I also currently have a similar problem with a PRO-2000 with the PGY ink - I have to print a test sheet on plain paper before every new printing session which clears the problem! It prints blue instead of grey for a little while on the test sheet then clears. Been like that for a year but luckily hasn't got worse.

I use Canon inks only.

Another tip is to never leave the printer more than a day without at least printing a nozzle check print on plain paper. Keeps things moving.

Hope this helps.

Frank.

Thanks Frank. This is super frustrating and it's an expensive bit of kit. I'll try your suggestion of printing test sheets first to try and kick things into gear! 

Good to know about the inks too as I thought the fact that I use third party could have been a factor. 

I print every other day and so the print is never left for long without use. 

Did you receive help from Canon about this? 

Many thanks

Bhavin 

No problem.

My supplier (fotospeed, UK) helped with advice.

Running the cleaning routines obviously could help. Also try printing a load of the problem colour and see if you can force it to clear.

Hi Frankel

Still in the process of sorting this. I wanted to ask if you print borderless, I have a theory that this might be connected to the issue. 

Many thanks

Bhavin 

Rarely, and never on the one that had the issue.

Announcements