cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-1 cleanup cycle on power on?

tmorell
Contributor

Hi,

Does the PRO-1 goes throught a clean up cycle every time it is turned on?

When I turn it on, I can always hear it doing this internal noise for like a minute.

If so, being this a lot of ink being used, would it be better to leave it always on?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

tmorell
Contributor

Any one from Canon support?

I have printed on a new PRO-1:

- 10   5.5 x 8.5   for hard profing

- 2     8.5 x 11

- 2     13 x 19

And I am already running out of ink. This cannot just be normal.

I have a Pro-1, and a lot of that first set of ink tanks is used filling the lines between the tanks and heads. So it will seem like you don't get a lot of prints out of that first set, but that ink isn't lost, it's just not in the tanks. So you'll need to buy your first inks sooner than you will your second, third and so on.

As for your first question, it does seem to do a bunch of preparation when you turn it on, but leaving it on all the time isn't the answer because it sill still go to sleep. I'm a sporadic printer, and these printers seem to like getting used, so I plan on doing more printing on a regular basis with mine. The prints do look awesome.

Sensel
Contributor

Canon said if you unplug and power on, lots of ink used in clean cycle. So, never unplug it.

Powering off with power button does not use ink.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you leave power connected, set the auto power off option and print at least once a week, even just a nozzle check, you can keep the printer from going into auto clean cycle.

Go to YouTube and search for videos by jtoolman. Many very good Canon printer videos.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I was talking to a Canon person today and he said to turn off the auto power on or auto power off features. Just leave the printer on 24/7. He also said it has a self maintenance cycle so, if you should forget to use it, it will do a maintenance on its own to keep the ink from drying out. But, still try to print on it twice a week regardless. 
He also said that in standby mode, it uses 2.3 watts. The max power used, probably while printing and using the Wi-Fi transmitter (if you use that), is 19 watts.

If you connect via wifi then it stays on 24/7 listining for input.

The important thing is to print at least a nozzle check every two days to reset the timer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements