cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pro-100 owner: a few basic questions

GadgetNeil
Apprentice

I'm excited to have just set up a brand new Pro-100.  It looks huge on the desk, although I expected that.  I am eager to print some nice 13x19 in photos.  My local camera store had a special when I bought it, that it included a 50-sheet package of the 13x19 Canon Pro Luster paper (LU-101).  I also have a package of 20 sheets of letter size Canon Photo Paper Plus - Glossy, that I'd never opened.

I've read a lot, and watched youtube videos, so have some ideas of what to do, but I am basically new to home printing.  I have a new Macbook Pro running Yosemite and recently got a Dell U2413 monitor which I have calibrated with the X-rite ColorMunki Display.  I have Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC (via the monthly subscription), and plan to mainly print from Lightroom, of course using ICC profiles for whatever paper I use, for this printer.

Here are my questions (for now):

1.  If I only print once every week or 2, is it better to leave the printer power on all the time, or to turn the power off when not using it?

2.  I have read it is best, to avoid clogs, and for other reasons, to be using the printer fairly regularly.  One person suggested I try to print something, even if just 8x10, once a week.  The reading I've done suggests that this printer doesn't clog so easily, but is there a recommended schedule as to the longest time period I should go without printing?

3. Since Lightroom has an excellent print module, which can use ICC profiles, am I best off printing from that, or should I use Canon Print Studio Pro?  I installed the Print Studio pro plugins for Lightroom and Photoshop, but if I use the plugin in Lightroom, would that take me out of the Print module?

4.  After setting up the printer, I had it do the print head alignment.  Should I also do a nozzle check, or is that only needed if a problem?

thanks,

Neil

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Congratulations on getting a great printer. Here's my advice.

1. Activate the Auto On feature, which will let the printer app turn on printer. I've read that it saves ink because the printer doesn't have to go through a startup cycle.

2. I have gone more than two weeks, but never more than a month without printing. Never had an issue with clogs.

3. The advantage of Print Studio Pro is that it handles all the "internal" printer driver settings that are required when letting the printer manage color. It also has some nice "tuning" features. I've compared PSP and LR printing and can't see a difference. So I print from LR.

4. For initial setup I did a nozzle check and print head alignment. Quick, easy and assures correct operation.

5. Download this test image and print it without making any adjustments.

http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements