cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my computer and printer to sync colors?

oceans02
Contributor

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi oceans02,

Because monitors display pictures with  RGB colorspace and printers use a CMYK colorspace, the two will always be a little different, and how precise you have to be will effect how complex it is to get the pritner to match waht you see on the screen.  The simplest answer I can give would be to make sure that your monitor has been properly calibrated, make sure you are using professional Photo Editing software, and you are using an ICC profile that has either been calibrated specifically for your paper and printer with a calibration tool, or if you don't have access to a calibration tool, make sure you use a papr that has an ICC profile that you can download for the Pr9000 Mark II.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

WahoGT
Enthusiast
Quick answer:
1) Calibrate your screen (I use a Spyder 3 Pro)
2) Use Canon brand inks (or you have to do printer calibration as well)
3) Download the appropriate color profiles for your printer/paper combination (if you're using an obscure paper and none are available, you must use a printer calibrator device like a ColorMunki to make a custom profile). Soft proof your image with the appropriate profile on your screen prior to printing. This will be a pretty accurate representation of how your colors will print. Printers cannot print the full color range seen on a monitor, so this is important.
4) Turn color management OFF on your printer (on the Pro 9000 mk II this isn't the easiest to find. Turn color intensity to manual, click "set", click the second tab at the top, and choose "none" for color management). Let your software manage colors, using the appropriate paper profile.
5) Print and be happy!

You have to be in the printing business to justify a Color Munki. I do some printing to sell but most clients today want DVD's. So like I advised, stay with Canon brand products for your Canon printer and it will print fine.Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

16 REPLIES 16

You have to be in the printing business to justify a Color Munki. I do some printing to sell but most clients today want DVD's. So like I advised, stay with Canon brand products for your Canon printer and it will print fine.Smiley Very Happy

EB

Thank you !

arkofhope
Apprentice

Spent hours trying to sync my MX 700 with monitor ........ prints look horrible.

Have my monitor calibrated with Spyder 2 Express.

Any help?????? Pleeeease???

I'm not an expert in this area but have some experience.

What paper are you using and are you using ICC profiles for that paper?

How do the prints look on the monitor?  Ok on the monitor, but look "horrible" when they print?

I'm using Epson photo paper

I don't think it's the paper

Not sure how I make sure I'm using ICC profiles.

On the monitor they look fine & horrible when they print

You kind of picky-backed on an existing thread.  Did you read everything that's in this thread?  Your answer is in there.  

It isn't so much the paper, it's the fact that the colors you see on the screen aren't going to necessarily match what's printed, if you aren't using ICC profiles for the paper and printer you're using.  You mentioned you used a Spyder calibration tool.  Do you also have software, that you're printing with, that utilizes the ICC profile created by the Spyder?  If you do, I would think it would also have functionality for paper ICC profiles.

Like I said, I'm not an expert on this, I'm sure someone else on this forum can explain this better than I did.

Spent hours trying to sync my MX 700 with monitor ........ prints look horrible.

Have my monitor calibrated with Spyder 2 Express.

Any help?????? Pleeeease???

I'm using Epson photo paper

I don't think it's the paper

Not sure how I make sure I'm using ICC profiles.

On the monitor they look fine & horrible when they print

OK, first off, make sure you are using Canon brand inks and paper. Get it right with these first.

Now, forget the monkey stuff, and make sure your monitor's contrast and brightness controls are set correctly.

If these are off even a little the correct color, on the print, will look bad.

Second make sure the gray scale is set properly on your monitor. On a Windows machine this calibration comes with the OS for free. Don't know about Mac's.

If any of these things are not right the printer will not print good quality prints no matter what profile you use.

You must remember the printer and the monitor are two separate pieces of equipment and neither knows what the other is doing.

Turn off any color correction in the printer and turn it on in the post software, if possibile.

This will work! Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements