cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey prints Green on Canon Pixma Pro-100 - HELP!

holmal
Apprentice

I have had a Canon Pixma Pro-100 for a couple months and have had no problems. All of sudden, anything grey is printing as green. I have been searching the web for help and have not been able to come up with anything. I typically print from adobe illustrator, but have tried in Preview and it's no different. 

Any thoughts/ideas/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can not set the printer to match the monitor.  You must set the monitor to match the printer.

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the print settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-on to do this.  No additional software or gadgets, etc.  No monkeys, no spiders, nothing!

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you see it.  It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print slightly darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

Adam - a few questions.

1. what software are you printing from?

2. when you go into System Preferences->Printers & Scanners do you have the Bonjour version of the printer installed (you don't want that).

Come back with those answers and we can go from there.

General comments. -

1. The Pro-100 has Black, Gray and Light Gray inks, but they are only used if you select Fine Art paper types.

2. Paper types can influence color cast, as can tey lighting you are viewing the print under.

3. If you are printing from Canon DPP, Lightroom or Photoshop you can use the Canon Print Studio Pro software. It will allow you to print a pattern print which will vary printer settings and you can then select the best set of printer adjustments.

4. For once in a while monochrome prints a dye printer, like the Pro-100 is OK, but for a lot of serious monochrome work you really want a pigment printer like the Pro-10 for example.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

when i press the resume button and hold there is no white light flashing on the other button

Ebiggs 1--I don't understand how to set my monitor to match my printer. I am using a Canon Pixma MX90 and everythingis printing green. I am using Canon "image garden" software. Thanks for any help.

Sorry, not sure exactly what to do.

A few weeks ago my Pixma 5650 started printing all grayscale images in green.  Ordinary word docs are fine, and still black.  I don't think I changed anything - it was working fine before.  Please could you send me simple instructions - I tried changing the print instructions as you suggested: my printer - printer settings - main - manual - set - matching, but the final screen is fixed and I cannot click on 'none '.

I don't want high quality - just grey/black rather than shades of green.

Your printer has two black inks. A pigment black for text and a black (along with cyan, magenta and yellow) for photos. 

You should ryn a nozzle check check and if necessary a head cleaning. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

AdamQuinnArt
Contributor

I figured it out (On Mac). The same would happen to me whenever I tried to print from another user on my computer the settings would reset and my prints would have a green tenting over them. Go to print if in Photoshop, once the print page comes up go to print settings, Layout, Quality & Media, Photo Papers, and the one that works for me is Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss (but you may need to try diferent ones to see which one you were using before it forgot and went crazy. Then make sure if your in photoshop  to set photo shop maniges colors, also choose in the photoshop print window your paper tipe and you should be good to go.Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 2.36.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-29 at 2.36.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-29 at 2.37.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-29 at 2.38.05 PM.png

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I don't know about PS, but Lightroom lets you save printer presets that will save and recall all the settings that are selected.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yeah maybe PS doesn't it just has the option Done or Print not sure if Done is saving the setting or not 😕 I just check through everything just to make sure it didn't flip on me 😕

Customized settings are saved as new defaults when you click Done or Print.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

pms
Contributor
resume button is not working
Announcements