cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grayscale printing, when to use?

Tinman
Enthusiast

I have a Pixma Pro-100. Under what circumstances would I print in “grayscale”?

Nikon D600; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, 85mm f/1.8G, 70-300mmG f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Tinman.

When the "Black and White Photo Print" is checked and the printout begins, the document is converted to grayscale data. This option allows you to print color items in monochrome.  The black and gray tanks would primarily be used when this option is selected.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To set-up your monitor!Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“To set-up your monitor!”

What does that mean? If there are three monochrome inks, is there a need to print in “grayscale”.

A gray scale can be helpful in matching your monitor to your printer. If your monitor does not show you what your printer is going to print, you are wasting time and materials.

You can hold up the sheet of gray scale print out right up next to the monitor and make a good comparison. Some people do this better than trying to match colors.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I understand what you are saying but I think that I am asking a somewhat different question.

I thought that “Grayscale” printing involved blending the color ink to arrive at different shades of grays. The Pro-100 has three monochrome inks, which should print in various shades of gray. Under these conditions, when (if ever) should grayscale printing be used? When I check the ”Print Black & White photo” box is that the same as printing in “grayscale”?  

Hello Tinman.

When the "Black and White Photo Print" is checked and the printout begins, the document is converted to grayscale data. This option allows you to print color items in monochrome.  The black and gray tanks would primarily be used when this option is selected.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael:

Thanks for the answer.

Announcements