cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error E161-4050

HollyB
Apprentice

I was setting up my brand new IPF 6450 last night and during the initial ink charging process, I received an Error E161-4050 message and cannot do anything else.  It was after hours so I couldn't call Canon.  I send an email to tech support but haven't heard back. 

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone know what the cause might be? 

12 REPLIES 12

Spectator
Contributor

There is no such an error in the service manual. At least mine did not have it. But it looks like related to an ink supply to a printhead. I would try to launch '' ink tube replacement procedure''

Most wide format Canons programmed this way.

Start machine. As soon as you see carriage moved out of it's home position , unplug it. (I mean unplug it , do not use soft button on the control panel)

It will leave carriage unlocked. Move carriage out by hand, remove print head. close everything back.

Remove all ink cartridges. Start the printer. And then just follow instructions on the display.This way you can drive ink into the printhead strongest way that is available. Printhead cleaning only 30% of the suction power compaire to this   method.

Good luck.

P.S . If this doesn't help. There is a problem with the purge unit.And it has to be replaced.

I have iPf-5100. When the cleaning cycle reaches 50%, the error E161-4050 appears. I have tried printing a test page on a roll media in service mode but receive the error that the paper is jammed. If I try sheet-feeding the paper, the message says to reload the paper.

Spectator
Contributor

Hi . This error means that printer did not detect Ink coming out of the printhead during installation or during print head replacement.

If your machine is brand new following can cause this problem: If ink tubes filled up with the ink , then eiter print head is faulty (which is quite common ) or nozlle check position adjustment is not performed. So nozzle discharging ink missing print head management sensor.If some ink tubes are not  filled up with the ink or have air pocket , then it means you have faulty purge unit or nozzle positioning is not adjusted or both.

Regards,

Spectator

Thanks for your response. The machine has been used successfully for some time. Your response leads to another question. How does one detect air bubbles in the ink line? My lines do not seem to be transparent. Is there a procedure whereby one can remove the ink and bubbles and then refil again? Also, if the nozzle is not positioned correctly, how does one position it correctly?

Regards,

Dhump

Spectator
Contributor
If your lines are not transperant (which they should be), then to remove potentisl air pockets perform tube replacement procedure like previous suggestion .To do so remove print head and ink cartridges and start printer.It will automaticly throw machine into tube replacement procedure.Once you start machine , follow prompts on a display of the printer.Nozzle check positioning is in a service mode. But before you do anything , run nozzle check print on a diagnostic mode.Usually on a diagnostic mode logic bypasses most of the errors. If your nozzle check is perfect, then there is no issues with ink supplies.Then your problem is print head sensor or nozzle check positioning or both.P.s. if machine used for some time you print head sensor is dirty and needs to be replaced.most likely this is your problem.But run nozzle check if it is perfect , replace that sensor

Spectator:

Thanks. I will try the nozzle check although i think I have tried that and I received a paper jam error. I will try again.

Regards,

Dhump

What with Holiday guests, I have not had time to work on the problem. Today I began to try diagnostic suggestions.

I am unable to see any air bubbles in ink lines. It appears that I have another problem. When I try to run a nozzle check using roll paper, I receive a "Paper Jam" error. the paper appears to be straight coming off the roll and it sits nicely against the guides. When I try to run a nozzle check using manual feed using 13 x 19 sheet, I receive a "Paper Please Reload, Size Undetected". I have previously chosen the 13 x 19 size. As near as I can tell, there does not seem to be any paper scraps, etc in the paper way.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements