Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon Pro 100s not printing large blocks of black

Trying to print out a print for a friend and when i make the background all black i find there is lines on the paper and it is slightly mauve. I am using Canon 350gm Fine art Paper 'Museum Etching' I am running it through the latest Photoshop, print size is 5x7. I just want it to come out jet black like the writing often is :/ 

Any ideas?

It looks like this You're.jpg

New Contributor

Re: Canon Pro 100s not printing large blocks of black

Doing another print of something else my blacks definately arent as black as they were the other day and have a very very slightly redish hue. I havent changed anything as far as i am aware and everything is set to black in PS. I am even printing the same prints

Esteemed Contributor

I am printing with a Pro-100 (not "S") but they are basically te same.

I have printed on many papers, including Hahnemuehle "Museum Etching", which the provider of Canon's paper.

I have observed that monochrome prints can have a slight (and different) color cast depening onb the paper used.

I have also seen that the light source can also change the tint appearance of the prints.

You can use the printer driver or Canon Print Studio Pro to create a pattern print and fine tune printer output for various papers.

Are you having PS manage printing? Have you double checked that the proper media type/profile are being used?

Run a nozzle check.

You are trying to lay down a complete black page with 100% uniformity. I'm not sure that the printer can do that - slight variations in the signal from computer to printer could be affecting the printer output.

Finally, I think you will find that the consensus is that the Pro-100 is an excellent color printer with B&W capability. If you want serious B&W printing the consensus is you need to be using a pigment printer (like the Pro-10).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. The funny thing is that it seems to be only a recent problem. I was getting great black coverage recently and only this week the black doesnt seem black enough when i place two prints against each other, it just doesnt 'pop' in the same way, and I have perceptible reddish lines on the large patches of black, which now isnt totally black, where once i was getting it really black

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Run a nozzle cleaning. Are you using Canon inks or third party.

Have you you made changes to settings or workflow?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

New Contributor

canon inks, and paper, ill try a nozzle clean. Don't think any of the settings have changed but not 100%. Would have thought black always came out black though. Well jet black not a lighter grey and red tinges in large blocks

Esteemed Contributor

You can call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH