cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro-100 Group 2 Ink Cartridge Issue

theinfinityzero
Contributor

After I setup my printer and was prompted to run an alignment test I received the error 2500.  I then ran a cleaning cycle and then a nozzle check cycle and found out group 2 (bk, gy, lgy, c) wasn't printing at all.  After several cleaning and deep cleaning attempts I still encountered this issue.  I re-read the instructions to see if I missed out on anything.  Despite it's warning, I removed the printhead to see if I left any orange tape.  I noticed that the left side for Group 1 had ink residue while the right side was dry.  Even after running many cleaning and deep cleaning cycles it was dry.

I tried my luck again after 12+ hours and Group 2 is still not working.  Everything is installed properly - ink cartridges are seated properly and the indicator lights are on for all 8. 

The only thing that managed to change is the "ink level," or rather the printer is telling me Group 2 is close to empty while a visual inspection shows a near full cartridge of ink.

I am more than frustrated at this point.  I own several Canon products, but this is the first that has been defective.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: 01.05.14 @ 0152

I went over everything once again and found nothing out of place.  Ran the cleaning cycles again and followed up with a nozzle check and the only thing new is I've ran "out" of LGY and the rest of Group 2 ink are down to their last drops (according to the chip on each cartridge).

Now I've "wasted" ink as I am sure there's no way to reset the information on the ink cartridges (the Group 2 tanks are full!). 

This has been one major headache.  Honestly, it's a POS.  I experienced zero issues with my Canon MG3100 printer after setup and was hoping for the same experience with a more expensive, sophisticated printer. 

38 REPLIES 38

No. I ordered me a new printhead and am waiting on an order for another set of Group 2 ink cartridges from Amazon. 

Stop doing any further cartridge/nozzle cleaning! The printer reads the ink cartridges via the computer chip on each and does not have the actual means to gauge the correct quantity remaining in each tank! I ended up doing numerous nozzle cleanings and expended the value on the chips, but my ink cartridges were still full. I wasted 4 ink cartridges the worst way: without even using a drop of ink!!

Using non-Canon brand ink is a bad idea. Especially if you want the best performance and quality out of the printer.

Off brand ink does not have the strict quality control that Canon has.  Some are so bad as to ruin the printer.

Plus, you must always ensure that the cartridge has ink in it while printing. If it does not have ink while printing,
permanent damage to the printhead will occur.  Canon will NOT warranty this either.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rdgipson
Apprentice

Thanks. One more question: was your printer new and under warranty, and if so did canon pay for the new print head?

I have the exact same problem with the Group 2 cartridges.  I run a printhead allignment page, and the horizontal bars that should be under the group 2 heading are not there.  The printer seems to think it is working fine.  No black, grey, etc.  I called Canon, and they sent me a new print head under warrenty no charge.  I put it in, and it is still doing the same thing!!!  No Group 2 Ink on the page!

Mine sat for a couple of days after I quit trying to fix it by running deep cleaning cycles because it was Friday. When I called Canon tech support on Monday the tech had me run it again and it fixed the issue, so you might try running a couple of deep cleaning cycles and then let it sit for a day or two and then try it again.

I have the samie issue.

I got a new print head from Canon and I installed the new print head with the same issue.  I am going to call support Monday.

Did you guys get this with the promo offered a while back?  I'm beginning to think it was only offered with one because there was a considerable batch of faulty printers that Canon didn't want to deal with.

I'm still stuck from where I was on my last post:

-replaced print head, but cannot print anything since the stupid printer thinks the Group 2 ink tanks are empty. 

I've read elsewhere that some people were able to do as described a few posts above where you let it "rest" for about 24hrs and then try once again and had success with that.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.

The ink cartridges are PRICEY and aren't readily available in stores near me, so Amazon is pretty much my goto for replacements.  I'm hoping that if I wait a little longer some third party replacement cartridges will be available.  (Please spare me a rant about using third party ink on a Canon printer as Canon failed me right out of the box, and has failed a growing number of other customers.)

Another option is that the printhead isn't faulty, but the entire Group 2 cartridges are the ones to blame. 

If any of you guys that have replaced the printhead end up replacing the Group 2 ink tanks and find it to fix the issue please post up!  I'd like to know.  As of now, my Pixma Pro-100 is currently my "desktop" for my laptop. 

There are chip resetters for Canon cartridges. There might be cheaper ones, but this was just a quick search.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42reset.html

I called Canon support on Monday and they are replacing the printer.  I should have a new one on Friday.

They said it is a known issue and that I should have gotten a new printer last week instead of a print head.

Thanks.  I called Canon Canada again, described the problem... again... described all of the deep cleans I did... and after describing this forum and your post in particular, they said they would send a new printer.  I received an email confirmation that it would be sent out in 5 to 10 days, so still another 2 to3 weeks to get it.  I missed some important opportunities for printing my photos, but at least it will be rectified soon.  Overall, the techs were good to deal with.  I just wish they would have dealt with a known issue more promptly without the delay.

Announcements