cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me how to fix "cannot communicate w/ printer" error message on Canon PRINT app

deliciousmacro
Apprentice

The Canon PRINT app was working fine until i recently updated to version 2.2.0. Now after updating the app will not work on my iPhone 5. The app will work sometimes on my iPhone 6s. However the app says "cannont communicate with printer" very often. It seems random.

How do i fix this? And why does the app not work any more on iphone 5?

17 REPLIES 17

Danny

Hi, deliciousmacro!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using, and which versions of iOS are running on your two iPhones. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/ContactCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Pixma Pro-100

iPhone 5 os version 8.0

iPhone 6s os version 9.1

as a side not, the PRINT app worked fine on iPhone 5 running os 8.0, but after i updated the PRINT app to version 2.2 it has stopped working. I then deleted the app and redownloaded from App store but now the app on iPhone 5 cannot connect to the printer.

I am able to print from iPhone 6s sometimes but the "cannot communicate with printer" error message appears very often.

Hello.

Check to make sure that the iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-FI network as the printer.  If they are connected to different networks the app will not detect the printer.

If the error persists, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, 

Yes all devices and printer are on the same network.

This is something I noticed yesterday. 

Shortly after starting the printer it does show up on the iPhone 5 in the PRINT app, as well as, Apple Airprint and I am able to print but only for a very short while. About 5-10 minutes after starting the printer, I am no longer able to print. The printer does not show up under Apple Airprint or on the PRINT app. 

If I restart the printer it will show up again but only for few minutes.

I also tried to print directly from my 70D via the usb cable, however my camera didnt see the printer. I restarted the printer but I am never able to print from the 70D.

Do you think there is a problem with my printer?

I'm having same issue w/ android phone 4.4 since the update of app.  It won't print and says it doesn't recognize printer.  Everything is on the same wireless network point.  Has there been a fix for this yet?

Hi markkie,

Please try reinstalling the app.  Please open the Application Drawer, find the Canon PRINT Inkjet SELPHY app, and then drag it up to the “Uninstall App” option.

Once uninstalled, please turn your phone off, wait 2 minutes and then turn your phone back on.

When the load starts back up, please go to Google Play to download and install the Canon PRINT Inkjet SELPHY app and select the Register Printer button to set up the app with your Canon printer.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have a MX492 printer

My wife and I have 4 android devices.  We have been having intermittent problems with printer-device communication for months.  We have unistalled the canon app and reinstalled it numerous times.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We turn off the the printer and turn it on again. We turn off our device and turn it on again. Sometimes we get lucky and it works first time. Sometimes it wont work even after trying all of the above.  I it a printer problem, an android problem or a WiFi problem?

Hi richy-rich81,

There are a few issues that can cause what you are experiencing.  It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

I'm having similar problems - anyone know a way to go back to earlier versions of the Canon app?
Announcements