cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR4722 won't stay on OR reconnect to wifi

leedann
Contributor

I'm really frustrated.  Printer goes offline and all the downloads and manuals I can find take about an hour to fix, then it happens the next time I want to use it.  Had this issue with my older Canon printer too, which is why I bought this one.  I only print about 15 - 20 pages a month so I don't need a high-end printer, but why is this happening ALL THE TIME.

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, leedann!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using.  The model number should be on the front of your printer at the upper right. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

leedann
Contributor

Sorry.  I listed it in subject line.  TR4722

leedann
Contributor

No support on this issue.  TR4722 occasionally prints via wifi, but then I have to download setup files, etc. over and over.  No luck at all!!!!!!!  who else can I contact?????  Is there no answer?

The Community isn't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is urgent, click HERE to visit your My Canon Account. Register your printer to discover your personalized support options, including live phone support.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE for support options. 

leedann
Contributor

Still the same issue.  Connects, disconnects, will not connect.  Had to buy a printer cable.  So when I need to print I have to go to another room in the house. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you are connecting the printer to a wireless network, its IP address is likely changing after some period of inactivity or use.  Try assigning the printer a static or reserved IP on your network.  This is done on your router , and only has to be done once.

Once this is done, remove the device from your computer and reinstall it as an IP printer.  Moving forward the printer will always get the same IP address (destination) and devices connecting to the network can always find it at the address you assigned.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

leedann
Contributor

Thanks for responding.  I will research and see if I can learn how to do what you suggest.  As an aside, with well over a decade of using a wifi router in my home I have never had to do anything like your suggestion to make my wifi printer connect and stay connected to my home wifi.  At this point, btw, it won't connect at all.  It used to connect sometimes and for a short time.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe I can help or guide you.  What is the brand and model of your wireless router?  Was it issued by your ISP or did you buy it?  Using the device provided by your internet provider is not a bad thing, I'm just asking to have a better understanding of your issue.  

Devices on your network are assigned addresses by your router.  Unless you assign or reserve an IP for a device, your router's "job" is to manage these address assignments.  These IP's are not permanent (unless you make them so).  There is a pool of addresses that the router "leases" to devices that connect to your network.  Some "come and go" and others are persistent.  Your router will periodically attempt to communicate with a device it's assigned an IP to and is managing.  If the device doesn't respond because it is turned off, asleep, or is used infrequently, then it might believe the device has "left" and that the IP is no longer in use.  The router then reclaims the IP and puts it back in the pool of available addresses, then waits untill the next device requests connection to your network.  Maybe it hands out the IP it assigned to your printer the last time it was used.  Now you try to print, your computer sends the print job to the last know IP "destination" it believes the printer was at, but it's no longer there and the device shows as "offline".  There is more to how devices are managed on a network I won't go into to, but I'll bet assigning a static address for the printer will help in this case.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements