cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G3260 won't stay online

Alopez161
Apprentice

Hello, I have a pretty new PIXMA G3260 printer and lam having an extremely frustrating issue. No matter what do the printer will NOT stay online. I have even connected it to my WiFi router (via cable), I cannot use it at all and I am lucky if it will let me print on a blue moon I will print one page and it disconnects me. Has anyone had this issue? What do I do? Please help! Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For reference, drivers for your printer are available from its product support page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-g3260

Your issue.  Let's look at your network.  You mentioned trying with both a wired (ethernet) and Wi-Fi connection. Same result.  Works once, then goes off line after a period of inactivity.  

Your router has a pool of IP addresses it assigns to devices that request connection to the network. Most devices come and go, so the router reclaims the IPs it assigns after a period of inactivity or lease time expiration.  It puts them back into the address pool for reassignment and waits for the next connection request.  This usually works pretty well, except when a device is persistent.  Examples of persistent devices are printers, network attached storage and web servers.  These types of devices can benefit from being assigned a static or reserved IP.  This is a dedicated IP address that you tell your router to associate to a specific device (network adapter) or connection.. Now if that device goes to sleep, gets turned off or isn't used for an extended period, the router doesn't assign it's IP to another device on your network.  Now when you turn the printer back on or try to print your computer knows where to find it.  

You can log into your router's admin portal and see a list of the attached devices.  There will be a list for the wired connections and the wireless connections.  It doesn't matter which you use as long as you tell the router to reserve the IP that it's assigned to your printer.  Once done, you remove the failed instance of the printer on your computer and reinstall it.  This only has to be done once.  Moving forward, the printer's IP will not change and any device connecting to your network will always be able to find it at its static destination (IP address).  This is not a complicated process and your router's documentation should tell you exactly how to do it.  It only has to be done once.  You can use this procedure for any device you like, printer, computer, storage, security system, thermostat, gaming console, TV, etc.  This is one of the most common reasons devices go offline or unexplainably disappear from the network.  Hope this helps.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements