cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

WarrenSmith
Apprentice

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

92 REPLIES 92

Stephen

Hi WarrenSmith! In order for the community to better assist you, we’ll need to know the model of your product. If you can please respond with the model and any additional information to help us better understand what could be causing your problem, we’d appreciate it! Thank you and have a great day!

@Stephen wrote:

Hi WarrenSmith! In order for the community to better assist you, we’ll need to know the model of your product. If you can please respond with the model and any additional information to help us better understand what could be causing your problem, we’d appreciate it! Thank you and have a great day!

MX532  had a paper jam cleaned it out but now het error code 5100

Ok my printer is having the same problem, I have a MX479. Can you tell me how to get in and check it? thanks.

Hi TiniGene,

To try and resolve the 5100 error on your PIXMA MX479, please follow the steps located here for cleaning the encoder film of the printer.  If you still experience difficulty, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

CANON PIXMA MG3550

Model # for Cannon PIXMA printer is MSDuo SD MS

How do I fix my 490 error code 5100 on my printer

Hi Henriettamcdowe,

The 5100 error is an indication that your PIXMA MX492 is experiencing an internal error.  To try to resolve the 5100 error, please follow the following steps:

1.  Turn the unit off using the power button.

2.  Lift up the scanning unit (printer cover) then place the scanning unit support into position.

3.  Remove any orange protective tape and the protective material that may be present.

4.  Please check for jammed paper:

4-1.  Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

4-2.  If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover) and remove it.  Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

5.  Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit back to its original position and then gently close scanning unit.

6.  Reload paper on the multi-purpose tray.

7.  Press the power button to turn on your MX492.

8.  If the Alarm light remains on after powering up the MX492, open the cover again.

9.  Remove each cartridge. 

10.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the PIXMA MX492.

11.  Reconnect the power cord and turn the unit on.

12.  Reinsert the cartridges.

13.  After the cartridges have been reseated, close the cover.

14.  Fan a new stack of paper then try to print again.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I just bought the printer on Amazon and turned it on to get this error.  I don't believe there is anything that has not been unpacked.

Announcements