cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

WarrenSmith
Apprentice

what is error 5100 for multifunction printeers and how do you fix it?

92 REPLIES 92

Hi nancydewy and Dcerick!

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

I have changed cartridges and it still says support code 5100;  model is mx490;

no paper jam, so what do I do?

Ramona Speer; [phone number removed per forum guidelines]

Hi Navarrebeach09,

If support code 5100 persists after replacing the ink cartridges and clearing any paper jam, the unit will require service.

It is recommended that you contact live technical support at this point to determine your service options. There is NO charge for this call. Please call our special toll-free number at (866) 261-9362 for support. Representatives are available to assist you Monday - Friday from 10 AM to 10 PM EST (excluding holidays).

My printer is not printing anything it is not even taking paper i5 makes a sound as if it was had paper stuck but I verified and ther was nothing I tried looking at the ink but there’s not any problems my model for the printer is

QC2-2862-DB02-01

My model is a MG3620

G4210. Printer has worked great for over a year  but now I get a 5100 message every time I print. Start and Stop lights flash intermittently. If I power the printer off and turn on three blank sheets come out. I put them back in the tray and the printer works fine but then after the last page is done the 5100 message comes up and the lights, etc. Big pain; what to do? 

mediatrek
Contributor

Usually an error 5100 code is saying that the ink carriage has problems. Usually something currently is or recently hammed the cartridge carriage. With the machine turned off and the power cord unplugged, open the machine and inspect the inside do you see any stray pieces of paper along the paper's usually route?

There is a way to reset the machine to clear out the error. I would need to know the exact model of your Canon.

I also have this problem ,

Mine is a Canon MG5220 printer. I have cleaned the insides but keep getting this code.

How would I reset the printer?

See this from Canon Support on error 5100 for your model :

MG5220 Error 5100 Resolutions

I have a canon MG3200 printer. I have had this thing a whole TWO DAYS! 

i had issue after issue setting it up and then finally getting it to print the other day when I got it home. A simple 5 minute print job on any of the other printers I used to have, and it took almost 35 minutes to produce an almost decent quality for some important paperwork that I had to have in the following morning. 

Aside from that- (I just took that to mean it was the "learning" curve) I now tried to print a simple, one page document. Postage for a package to go out tomorrow morning via USPS. 

Lo and behold, it had a paper jam immediately. A bad one. Had to spend more than an hour searching around for ways to even get the covers off in order to pull the paper free. 

Got it cleared out, now the P-2-0, or 5100 error message is just blinking away. I've taking it back apart in the back 3 times now, taken the ink cartridges out and looked for paper jammed, not found anything, and now the blinking error won't go away. 

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to clear that error message??? I am about ready to return this printer to walmart, and get a different one. If it wn't work, then it does me no good. 

Thank you in advance for being able to virtually rant and rave about this. 

@mediatrek wrote:

Usually an error 5100 code is saying that the ink carriage has problems. Usually something currently is or recently hammed the cartridge carriage. With the machine turned off and the power cord unplugged, open the machine and inspect the inside do you see any stray pieces of paper along the paper's usually route?

There is a way to reset the machine to clear out the error. I would need to know the exact model of your Canon.

Announcements