Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

mx922 printer fails due to "no paper in upper tray"

I try to print with iphone, but alway got this no paper in upper tray error ( I have paper in lower tray), looks like this is a canon software issue, if I can not resolve this, I will need to return this product, this is only two days old.

thx

Product Expert

Re: mx922 printer fails due to "no paper in upper tray"

Hi rchen,

When printing from your iPhone, are you printing from the Easy-Photo Print EX app or a different app using AirPrint?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

This also happens to me whether it is from my iPhone or Mac(desktop and laptop).  Frustrating because it worked fine for about two days, and now only provides this error message.

Product Expert

Hi sjlstevens,

When printing from your Mac laptop/desktop, you will want to ensure that the paper type selected in the printer driver and application you are printing from is PLAIN PAPER, and that the paper size selected is 8.5 x 11, Letter, A4, B5, or A5.  Other paper size selections will prompt the printer to feed from the upper cassette.  

When printing from your iPhone via Apple AirPrint, the paper size is selected automatically according to the application software being used on the phone, and the region in which AirPrint is used.  When Apple's photo application software is used, the default paper size is 4x6, whch would be fed from the upper cassette.  If you want to print on another paper size such as 8.5 x 11, you will need to use a program that has that paper size as a selectable option and print from that program to the printer; this will utilize the lower cassette.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

I have a similar problem.  I loaded two sheets of 4 x 6 Canon Glossy II in the upper tray of my MX922, pressed print on my desktop PC, and after a fairly lengthy wait the printer beeped in showed support code 1007, telling me that my upper tray was empty.  It was not empty and was loaded properly.  I just hit OK on the printer control panel to give it another chance.  Same results.  I removed and reinserted the tray.  Again, beeps and support code 1007.  I unplugged the printer for 10 minutes and plugged it back in and still support code 1007.  I've tried everything I can think of, but the printer insists that the upper tray is empty.  The printer is only two months old.  How disappointing!

Product Expert

Hi usmale47374,

To try and resolve the issue, please ensure that the paper size and media type you are using is selected in the printer driver. Once this has been verified, you can perform a roller cleaning on the printer to ensure that the paper path is clear for the paper to feed properly.  To perform a roller cleaning, please follow the steps located here.

If you still experience difficulty after performing the recommendations above, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

New Contributor

No it does not help. You only answer question as to iOS, not when using Mac desktop. There must be some way to manually set the tray you want. My old Canon had a button to let you choose the tray. Why doesn't the MX922?
New Contributor

What is not being properly explained is that there IS a seperate "Upper Tray"  that needs to be loaded.  If you close the output door you can see it directly above the main or lower tray.  This has nothing to do with your program or OS.  The paper size automatically goes to the upper tray.  The upper tray just goes unnoticed and seems like it is not there.

This painfully slow video shows it.  Luckily you don't have to watch the whole thing to figure it out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/howto_mx922_howto?pageKeyCode=noLeftNavigati...

Occasional Contributor

"...Other paper size selections will prompt the printer to feed from the upper cassette..."  

Why?  The lower tray is also fully adjustable.  In fact, the lower tray is much more adjustable than the upper tray.  Why is the software forcing any custom paper size to be sent to the upper tray?  The tray which doesn't adjust to 5" x 8".  The lower tray can adjust all the way up to 12" and possibly beyond...

New Contributor

So this is completely the wrong way to do tray selection.  When you have a speciality tray, especially one used for printing on photography stock as a key example, the selection of that tray should be explicit, not implicit, especially not implicit based on a small subset of selections for the default tray.  Please correct this going forward.  If you had done any user testing or user stories you should have noted that only exceptional printing will use the auxillary tray.  This should be the one with the limited selections; not the default tray.   Bad user design IMHO.