cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx922 printer fails due to "no paper in upper tray"

rchen
Apprentice

I try to print with iphone, but alway got this no paper in upper tray error ( I have paper in lower tray), looks like this is a canon software issue, if I can not resolve this, I will need to return this product, this is only two days old.

thx

111 REPLIES 111

what is the answer to this problem as mine is doing the same

set printing preferences back to default. Mine was telling me the same upper cassette error and when I looked at print prefferences, it was on 6X4 photo? I never even printed to that que. Put it back to default: 8.5X11 standard paper and reset the A4 clip on the lower cassette as it had moved up 1 notch. works fine now. 

No it does not help. You only answer question as to iOS, not when using Mac desktop. There must be some way to manually set the tray you want. My old Canon had a button to let you choose the tray. Why doesn't the MX922?

What is not being properly explained is that there IS a seperate "Upper Tray"  that needs to be loaded.  If you close the output door you can see it directly above the main or lower tray.  This has nothing to do with your program or OS.  The paper size automatically goes to the upper tray.  The upper tray just goes unnoticed and seems like it is not there.

This painfully slow video shows it.  Luckily you don't have to watch the whole thing to figure it out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/howto_mx922_howto?pageKeyCode=noLeftNavigati...

what video. i'm directed to a Canon Homepage

"...Other paper size selections will prompt the printer to feed from the upper cassette..."  

Why?  The lower tray is also fully adjustable.  In fact, the lower tray is much more adjustable than the upper tray.  Why is the software forcing any custom paper size to be sent to the upper tray?  The tray which doesn't adjust to 5" x 8".  The lower tray can adjust all the way up to 12" and possibly beyond...

I had the same problem until I noticed the photo paper was in sideways.  The short side of the paper must be towards the front and back of the printer.

I finall found a way to print from iPhone photo album.  

1. Selec the picture(s) you want to print.

2. Select Save PDF to iBooks

3. Print from iBooks

Hope this helps.

Just tried this and it works, thanks. Customer support is closed now but I will be calling them first thing in the morning..if there isn't a fix to this issue its getting re- boxed, labeled and sent back. 

I have had the same problem.  The solution "Save PDF to iBooks" works.  Specifically, I want to print a screenshot from my iPad, getting the common error of no paper in the upper tray.  The Canon help rep said that the iPad interprets the screenshot as a graphic image, sending it to the printer via AirPrint.  All incoming "graphic images" are classed as 4 x 6 inch requests and ported to the specialty upper paper tray.  All discussions with the rep about the iPad app selection of 8.5 x 11 inch letter paper fell on deaf ears.  Apple AirPrint was blamed for this problem.  No Canon responsibility for fixes.  I asked if all Canon printers have this problem with Airprint, but no answer was provided.  This is a workaround, not the proper solution from Canon.

Announcements