cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 how to fix double printing of letters?

travisvu
Apprentice

When printing, some lines come written with double letter effect: For example, the word "bad" looks like "bbaadd". The letters are so close that are almost on top of each other. This does not happen to all of the text on the page, but to many lines.

Printer is MX922.  Print from Word doc (or any text editor) onto plain paper.

Already did all the steps in the Maintenance window (ie. cleaning, head alignment, nozzle check, etc...).  No help.

16 REPLIES 16

Ramona
Authority

Hi travisvu,

Since the alignments and cleanings did not work, you can try cleaning the encoder strip of the printer to see if this will resolve the issue.  To do this, please follow the steps located here.  

If you still experience difficulty after cleaning the encoder strip, the printer may require servicing; please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the exact same issue with a MG7120 and your hyper link to cleaning the encoder strip below does not seem to work. Where can I get the instructions on how to clean the encoder strip for a MG7120?

Many thanks

SCB

I'm having same problem as above on MG5500.  The link with instructions is not working.  Has anyone had success in fixing this?  Advice please?

Thanks so much!

L

rdooman
Apprentice

I am having the same issue now for a while.  Yesterday I removed the print head cleaned it to get all the old ink out. I wiped the ribbon as suggested.  It still prints letters with a shadow.  

Has anyone found a solution? 

I am having the same issue with my MG5420.. letters printing ddoouubbllee

taybird
Apprentice

Link to support fix does not work.

Hi, taybird!

Thanks for catching that.  Since that reply was posted in 2015, we've overhauled our web sites and some of the old links no longer work.  We've updated the link above and you can also reach it HERE.

We hope this helps!

This worked for me! I have a PIXMA MG3620 and was having an awful time with double letters (it looked like I had blurry vision) and smudges. I cleaned that timing encoder strip with a Q-tip and alcohol and printed out some pages and voila it is fixed! Thanks!

Well, I did clean the timing strip per instructions. It did not change performance whatsoever (which is pretty much what I expected, as I did not see any visible grease or dirt on the strip). BTW, if this is a part that is intended to be maintained, why is there not better access to it? There is not space in there for anyone with hands bigger than a six-year-old's (and then you can't see well, because you're blocking the light). But, I digress.

I've had this problem for some time now, and no cleaning/aligning/etc. helps in any way. I'm really at the point where I feel like I should just get a new printer.

One thing that I did notice...I saw that the timing strip instructions did mention not to remove grease from the lower rail. I saw a couple of areas on that rail that, to my eyes at least, seemed to be devoid of grease. Could that be causing this issue as well? If so, what type of grease should be used/how much/how should it be applied?

Announcements