cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I print in black without using my color ink on my pixma mx 922 printer?

stj
Apprentice

how do I print in black without using my color ink  on my pixma mx 922 printer?

75 REPLIES 75

Yeah, I got bad news from the sellers of those "Black Only" print heads. the message I got back was that the color carts woudl all have to be installed for the printer to work and that the head would only print in black and white even though all the colors would be used for that.

I was like what the heck is the point then? they are selling broke printer heads LOL it only prints black but you still have to pay out for all the colors. they say the point is that the head costs ten bucks. The does not seem like a good selling point to me though.

I mean, I have never used one. I was thinking what if I put all black ink in every ink cart? I don't have a clue what would happen but I would like to try. maybe when I am feeling rich I will give that a shot, the worst thing I can think that would happen is I trash a 10 dollar head and waste some black ink. It is irritating that the company didn't just give us the option of black ink only. or an optional head that could do it that you could switch out ad use just for labels or books or whatever the need for only black.

I just flushed my head here and am drying it out now so I don't cause the ribbon connections to fry out.

worked for me 

thank you!

Hey,

Is there a way to override the function that if you print using duplex it prints in colour? Doesn't make sense to me that if you want print on both sides of the paper you have to use colour ink, thats really counterintuative .

Thanks

This does not solve the problem for Canon Pixma MP600 on my Macs. It still demands a colour cartridge before it will print black. Yes this IS a SCAM! I only want to use this printer for black text, not have to fork out $$ for 3 colour cartridges that will go dry in a few months unused!!

This answer does not help when printing black and white photographs. If I select Plain Paper as suggested here, the flow of ink does not match the actual paper, which is glossy photo paper because I am trying to print a photograph. There must be a better way to print a black and white photograph in black and white!!! Every suggestion I try ends up with a tinted result--NOT a purely black and white photograph. 

shai9844
Apprentice

I was just talking with one of the Canon tech support assistants, and I asked about the grayscale option. I know that when printing black text, all cartridges are used (even a little color). I was assuming that with the grayscale option, the color cartridges were turned off. The tech support guy said this is not true, and the color cartridges are still used in grayscale. Is this true? 

Also I was told (by a different person) that every cartridge has a page limit in their chip (ie. 250 pages for color), and when they reach this page count, the printer says you are out of ink. The tech support guy said that is also not true. He said they will keep working until the ink is ACTUALLY out. Now I don't believe printer companies are that giving. I know you all have sneaky tricks to make us spend more on ink. Now if someone can give me an honest answer: do Canon cartridges have a page count in their chip that stops printing when it is reached?

The real reason I wanted to use my grayscale option is to "turn off" my color cartridge chips from being used in their overall page count. That way I can used them longer, and only when I actually need them. 

So many myths and unknown tricks. I need MythBusters on this case!

Hi shai9844,

The ink tanks in your PIXMA MX922 do not count the pages printed to determine the amount of ink left in the ink tank.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

How about her first question? 

"...that when printing black text, all cartridges are used (even a little color). I was assuming that with the grayscale option, the color cartridges were turned off. The tech support guy said this is not true, and the color cartridges are still used in grayscale. Is this true?" 

Thanks. 

"The ink tanks in your PIXMA MX922 do not count the pages printed to determine the amount of ink left in the ink tank."

If they don't count the pages, could you tell us how the chips in the ink tanks determine the ink levels? 

Also, there are alot of questions about whether or not the color ink is used when printing using a black & white or grayscale setting. Could you (or another Canon expert) please clarify if only black ink is used on the grayscale setting?   

Thank you. 

Canon Pixma MG6620 

Macbook Air, OSX ver. 10.8.5 

Danielle
Apprentice

Hello,

I am having the same problem. My Cyan has run out (even though I only print using greyscale) now I cannot print or scan or do anything. I have a MG7570 using Mac OS X El capitan 10.11.15

Can you help me, I have greyscale selected as the norm but all functions will now not work?

Thank you

Danielle

@stj wrote:

how do I print in black without using my color ink  on my pixma mx 922 printer?

Announcements