cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't scan mp830

stevekaz
Apprentice

My MP830 stopped scanning and copying.  It will print just fine.  The light source does not come on.  The focusing bar does not move across the platen.  I have unplugged the printer overnight.  Still will not scan/copy.  There was no new software added proximally.  Vista ultimate 64.  HP Touchsmart tablet.  This set up worked for years.  When I got a 6A00 message, I cleaned the plastic blades and reset the sponge and the 6A00 message stopped.  I don't think the copy/scan issue is related.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

40 REPLIES 40

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi stevekaz,

I would like to gather a bit more information so we can better isolate the issue you are having.  Now that the 6A00 error has cleared, are there any other error msesages showing on the LCD or is it just showing the standard copy screen?  When you attempt to make a copy, what happens after pressing the Black or Color button on the printer?  Lastly, when you scan, are there any errors that come up on the computer?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

<<Hi stevekaz,

I would like to gather a bit more information so we can better isolate the issue you are having.  Now that the 6A00 error has cleared, are there any other error msesages showing on the LCD or is it just showing the standard copy screen?  When you attempt to make a copy, what happens after pressing the Black or Color button on the printer?  Lastly, when you scan, are there any errors that come up on the computer?>>

The LCD message is "Scanner is not operating correctly." for both the black and color copy button.  It states, "Scanner is warming up..." for a prolonged period of time, then kicks out the blank page it loaded from the tray (after pushing the buttons, the beginning sounds are normal - loading a blank page and the print heads are cleaned.  Then the prolonged warming up message, then the scanner is not operating correctly message.)  There is no error number.  There is a brown banner at the top of the LCD screen with "Error" midway along the banner and midway down the screen the not operating message is displayed.  I have unplguged and restarted the machine, tried the Stop/Reset button, tried scanning instead of copying and I get the same error as the attempt at copy.  I tried moving the locking button, did not help.  The standard copy LCD is shown or the standard scan screen is shown until the task is started, then it goes to the warming up -> not operating correctly.

On scanning attempts, it does not push out a new page and the PC screen (for MP Navigator) says:

"Cannot scan for these reasons:

- The original may not be set correctly,

- The Protective Sheet may be put in place,

- The lock switch may not be released,

- The lamp may not be warmed up.

(It needs a few minutes for adjusting lamp on low temperature.)

Scanner driver will be closed.

Code: 2,178,0"

This time the scan set up was for a black and white document, 300dpi.

I also tried to scan from Acrobat Professional and the same thing happens.  It worked well before.

Is there anything else I can add?

Thanks

steve kaz

Hello stevekaz.

Please try the following to see if we can resolve your issue:

1.  Turn the printer off.

2.  Disconnect the USB and power cables from the unit.

3.  Open the scanner lid, then toggle the lock switch back and forth about a dozen times alternating.

4.  Leave the switch in the unlocked position.

5.  Reconnect the USB and power cables.

6.  Turn the printer back on.

Once this has been done, try scanning to test the unit.

Please ensure that the unit is connected directly to one of the USB ports on your computer itself.  Do not connect the scanner to any external monitors, keyboards, hubs or other extension devices.

If the error persists, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON for additional assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

How's it goin', Michael?

My Canon MP 830 scanner is misbehaving the exact same way as Canon's other customers have stated in this forum. This is my first reply (and my first post) to this forum.

It seems obvious to me that your suggested remedy (i.e., toggle the "lock/unlock" switch back and forth about about a dozen times) is based on the assumption that the lock/unlock switch is stuck in the lock position even if the switch is in the unlock position. That's a logical diagnosis and a logical related remedy for the problem, IF that's the problem (which it isn't).

My observation of the scanner's "lamp adjusting" behavior when the scanner worked properly and when it stopped working properly today probably discloses the correct diagnosis of the problem and the correct remedy that will fix the problem. So, everyone should pay attention to this.

It's simply a matter of common sense that after approximately 5 years of even minimal use the scanner's LIGHT BULB (i.e., its adjusting "lamp") has finally BURNED OUT, just like any other type of light bulb will eventually burn out and cease to function properly.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that that's the cause of the problem and that the correct remedy is to simply replace the burned out light bulb with a new light bulb.

So, the "$64,000 Question" is this: Will Canon mail a new scaner LIGHT BULB (i.e., the scanner's adjusting lamp) to me so that I can replace the burned out light bulb and succeed in fixing my Canon MP 830 myself?

Thanks, in advance, for your help Michael. "Oh, I almost forgot. I'm gonna need you to work Sunday too."

Sincerely,

Lumberg

<<How's it going', Michael?

My Canon MP 830 scanner is misbehaving the exact same way as Canon's other customers have stated in this forum. This is my first reply (and my first post) to this forum.

It seems obvious to me that your suggested remedy (i.e., toggle the "lock/unlock" switch back and forth about about a dozen times) is based on the assumption that the lock/unlock switch is stuck in the lock position even if the switch is in the unlock position. That's a logical diagnosis and a logical related remedy for the problem, IF that's the problem (which it isn't).

My observation of the scanner's "lamp adjusting" behavior when the scanner worked properly and when it stopped working properly today probably discloses the correct diagnosis of the problem and the correct remedy that will fix the problem. So, everyone should pay attention to this.

It's simply a matter of common sense that after approximately 5 years of even minimal use the scanner's LIGHT BULB (i.e., its adjusting "lamp") has finally BURNED OUT, just like any other type of light bulb will eventually burn out and cease to function properly.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that that's the cause of the problem and that the correct remedy is to simply replace the burned out light bulb with a new light bulb.

So, the "$64,000 Question" is this: Will Canon mail a new scanner LIGHT BULB (i.e., the scanner's adjusting lamp) to me so that I can replace the burned out light bulb and succeed in fixing my Canon MP 830 myself?

Thanks, in advance, for your help Michael. "Oh, I almost forgot. I'm gonna need you to work Sunday too."

Sincerely,

Lumberg>>

Michael and Lumberg,

It sounds as if Lumberg has the correct answer.  Unfortunately, I gave my MP830 to my brother-in-law who just needed a printer (which continues to work well).  When I looked into dismantling the unit, it looked like the bulb was part of a larger component.  I would like to see Canon send Lumberg a bulb or the bulb component and let him/her report on the success or lack of success of the R&R for the forum.

I really liked the MP830 and will probably get another Canon when my funds are sufficient. 

Steve

Michael,

I accept the challenge posed by Steve concerning the problem with the Canon Pixma MP 830. Just mail or otherwise ship the part(s) to me (a replacement light bulb, etc.). I'll provide my mailing and shipping address to you via my email account that's associated with my user name for this forum (just send an email message to me requesting that information and the reason why it's being requested). I'll report the results of my repair project via a post to this forum.

Thank you for your help, for the sake of the entire group.
Sincerely,

Lumberg

Hi stevekaz and Lumberg,

While I agree that this does sound like an issue with the scanning element or bulb, we are unable to send a replacement part for this issue.  The MP830, unfortunately, reached its "End of Life" close to a year ago.  Parts for this model are no longer produced or available. 

On most of our newer multifunction units, the scanning elements has greatly improved since the release of the MP830 (over 7 years ago).  The element is more energy efficient and less prone to "burnout" since its light source is LED based.

Please feel free to Contact Us if you have any other questions.

Hi MarkII,

Hmmm, your reply is an unpersuasive defense of "planned obsolescence" as applied by manufacturers, combined with a tactless "sales pitch" to buy a new and allegedly better-designed Canon multi-function scanner, copier, fax, and computer printer machine. I'm quite certain that the planned obsolescence "useful life" period of the Canon Pixma MP 830 AND the allegedly new and better-designed machine also is about 5 years, because 5 years (more specifically 60 months) is the "useful life" period under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC)--the U.S. income tax code which is administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)--of computers and computer peripheral equipment, including Canon's multi-function computer peripheral machines, for purposes of taxpayers who claim a "depreciation deduction" under IRC section 168 or who "make an election" to claim a "expensing deduction" under IRC section 179 for depreciable tangible personal property in in lieu of claiming an IRC section 168 depreciation deduction for such depreciable property. Unfortunately, the dollar) value of such income tax deductions varies for each income taxpayer arguably depending on his, her, or its "highest marginal income tax rate." For example, if a taxpayer's highest marginal income tax rate in the IRC's built-in "progressive income tax rate" system is 39%, then that taxpayer gets a "in-the-wallet" income tax benefit equal to 39-cents per dollar spent when buying one of Canon's computer peripheral machines. By contrast, if a taxpayer's highest marginal income tax rate is 15%, then that taxpayer gets a "in-the-wallet" income tax benefit equal to 15-cents per dollar. Nevertheless, our nation's lawmakers aren't to blame for "planned obsolescence" as applied by equipment manufacturers. Sure, every type of equipment malfunctions sooner or later, but to intentionally design and manufacture such equipment with a predetermined period of time (e.g., 5 years) when it will likely become useless for its intended purposes is another matter altogether and that is one of the main problems that has plagued America's manufacturing industries for decades and that has had related ruinous consequences for our nation's economy. In today's global economy and its multinational corporations, the executive officers and members of the boards of directors of those corporations must still ask themselves the question, "Which nation has my loyalty?" How many corporate shareholder and board of director meetings begin with a recitation of the "Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America"? Probably very few, if any. Significantly, that's where change for the betterment of our nation and its economy can begin it rise and the downfall of planned obsolescence can begin.

Sincerely,

Lumberg

I have had the same problem with my scanner. It just died in the middle of a scan, and poof, that was it. Now I was looking for a bulb, and perhaps answers as to what happened, and came across this. I don't think any of the products made in the US or abroad are made to last for a reason, and has nothing to do with the products made in the USA alone. The biggest problem I see it how they make them so you can't fix them, even though you pay top dollar for them. It is infuriating how I have to go out and now spend another $500+ to get a similar unit that I should be able to fix for $25 if I only had the part. This truly is BS and makes you wonder how much more people can take.

Announcements