cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my Mx860 suddenly stop scanning?

FamilyPhotos13
Contributor

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, FamilyPhotos13!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer, how your printer communicates with your computer, and what error messages you might be getting. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

Thanks and have a great day!

I am using windows 7 and my printer is connected via a USB cord.  When I try to scan, the printer indicates to put the photo or what have you into the scanner, then instead of getting the bright light that indicates scanning, nothing happens, then the printer indicates again that I should put the photo in.  It seems it is not "seeing" the object to be scanned.  I am wondering if there is a "scanning eye" or something that is broken?   The copy function works fine.  Not sure about the faxing function as the two times I tried to fax, the machine indicated that the fax number was busy.  

Ramona
Authority

Hi FamilyPhotos13,

If you temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software that you have on your computer and then attempt to scan, are you able to scan successfully?  Also, what program do you use to scan?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did call Canon support a day or two ago.  At Staples they had said that Canon might replace it with a refurbished one cheap if it's broken.  But the man at support  helped me get it working again.  We don't know what was wrong with it, but he had me use the scanning function through the computer and that worked.  Then we tried the scanner again using the buttons on the printer and it worked! 

Thanks for the help though.

I used the Canon program that came with the printer.  I had never scanned using the computer, I had only used the scanner with the buttons on the printer.

And I still have to fix the fax but he had me try the "hook" button on the printer to see if I heard a dial tone.  I did not.  That means there is a bad connection somewhere.  I hope to track it down over the weekend.

Announcements