cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U052 Printhead Problem MX870

chdevers
Apprentice

Stopped printing while in the middle of a big job with full ink tanks, then when turned back on, gave the dreaded U052 print head error message.  I have tried everything given by Canon to re-start the printer, nothing works.

It dawns on me that maybe my ink tank stopped feeding ink despite the tank being full- the vent hole might not have been open all the way to allow ink to pass through.

I'm wondering whether this could somehow mess up the printhead, maybe it needs ink to keep it cool during operation or something??

It's completely aggravating that it stopped as it has and now that prevents even the scanner or fax from working-- this seems like a bad design.

Does anyone know whether the print head can be messed up if the tank stops feeding ink while in the middle of a print job?

Thanks!  And if you know that answer, then what do you do to get printer working again??

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This "solution" DOES NOT WORK.  I have tried it 15 times, the printer still comes up with that same error message.

What's worse, it DISABLES THE ENTIRE PRINTER -- I can't use any other function.  I have been left high and dry because I have desperately needed to send scanned contracts out and there is no way to do it.  I have had to rely on my partner to send me photos of the contracts so I can continue with business.... Canon has produced a terrible product because a simple failure puts the entire machine out of service, not just the failed print head mechanism.  Horrible design, terrible software or hardware installed control system. 

You even told me that purchasing a new print head won't fix the crazy thing.  Who the heck designed this crazy piece of junk?

How do I get it it replaced or repaired?   Moderator Note:  Removed personal phone number per forum guidelines.

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I unpluged the printer, removed the printhead and cleaned the gold contacts with rubbing alcohol. Then I wrapped a piece of 400 grit sandpaper around my finger and lightly sanded the pins inside the printer that contact the printhead. When I put it all back together and powered up the printer the U052 error was gone. We'll see how long it lasts.

Count me as having an MX870 that's best used as a boat anchor!  I have tried everything that's recommended.  No luck.

Even Canon Customer Service wouldn't work.  Their voicemail system told me I was out of luck - unless I wanted to PAY for customer service!  Canon, you can count me out as a "loyal customer".  

If you own an MX870 - quit trying to remedy the U52 error message you're getting.  You're just wasting your time - and patience.

The fair thing to do is to sue Canon for their programed failure in printing heads, ink cartridges and regional policies. I am stuck with the U052 error. This is already the second printing head with the same problem. I had problems with European ink cartridges (it is an US bought printer). I own expensive Canon cameras and lenses. Already 2 original Canon camera power supplies failed - expensive and poor quality, or rather programed failure. The third one will be a cheap, non-Canon one and for sure will be better. In conclusion, I will phase out all the Canon products and I'll advice whomever I can to to the same - boycott a giant fraudulent company.

marzookmajeed
Apprentice

Canon is not coming forward with an answer, so just return this printer and buy a HP printer. Make sure never buy a canon printer hereafter.

The reason I bought a Canon is because the HP's I had in the past all failed.

m5manos
Apprentice
Guys that works for me perfect!!!!!!!!

Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the product, but leave the product turned on

Open the cover of the product and remove the print cartridges

Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message to display

Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and wait for one minute

Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button

Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges

Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.
Reconnect the USB cable, and try to print a print job from the computer

m5manos
Apprentice

Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the product, but leave the product turned on

Open the cover of the product and remove the print cartridges

Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message to display

Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and wait for one minute

Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button

Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges

Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.
Reconnect the USB cable, and try to print a print job from the computer

Doesn't work on my MP960. Used 2 diferent print heads.

chermes54
Apprentice

MY MX870 will not print either. Have turned it off and on, cleaned, run troubleshoot, etc.  Cartridges are half full but when I open the cover they are all lit up.  Can't remember if that is normal or not.  Not getting any error messages at all.

londonpsy
Apprentice

I have just been struck with this error, too.  And have tried EVERY solution listed here.

What gives Canon? I have $100 worth of print cartridges and a very large and now useless printer on my desk.

I hope that your customer service will reach out an engage on this.  This is a consumer-driven market, and there are many alternatives to your products.  Why not demonstrate some customer service heroics and sort this problem out once and for all.

Announcements