cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX722 Thick Black Line on scanned document

tfeichtel
Apprentice

I have a Canon PIXMA MX722.  When scanning a document through the ADF or directly from the glass plate the document has a 1 inch thick vertical black line about 1 inch from the hand margin.  When scanning a PDF it's on the right side but JPEG is on the leftIMG_20151024_0003.jpg.  I have cleaned the glass based on suggestions from other posts.  I'm not sure what else to try to resolve this issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12

Spooky4721
Apprentice

I have the same black line anyone know a solution

Cheers

Spooky4721

Hi Spooky4721,

The lines on copies that you are experiencing is a result of the scan glass being dirty or scratched.  The scan glass that the printer uses when scanning from the ADF is located to the left of the larger glass area (platen) when you open the cover.  It is the smaller glass strip on the left hand side of the unit.

Spray some glass cleaner on a paper towel and then clean the smaller glass area.  Once cleaned, try scanning from the ADF again.

Please view this image:

MX870 Document Guide.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I have the same issue but mine is MP287. I have tried to clean the glass but the issue still occurs. Only happen when try to print a scanned paper.

Hello, the suggestion to clean the glass did not work at all.  There is a 1/2" vertical bar on the page after you make a copy or scan.  I changed the head alignment and the bar moved to right side to the left side.  What is causing this and how can I fix it?

The thick black bar that we are experiencing has NOTHING to do with the glass being dirty. Based on the picture provided that should have been obvious.

This thick black line has NOTHING to do with dirty glass.  A section of the glass scanning rod is burned out and is not repairable.

Quarterp
Apprentice

I have had this problem for a number of months now on my Canon MG6450.

I don't have an autofeed so everything is done on the platten.

It happens when scanning or copying and appears as a broad bar on the left ie originating from the back of the platten side.

On copies it seems to be just black but on scans you can enlarge it and see it's more complex - see pic which represents the 1 inch width.

This does not seem to be a dirt/cleaning problem.

Any suggestions?

Scan problem detail.jpg

Hi, Quarterp!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thanks for posting!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your product appears to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA.  The Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

tavacoh
Apprentice

Was this issue every resolved? I have the exact same problem with my MG3022. Only happens when scanning a document on the platten. There is no feeder on this model so it can't be the ABF. 

Announcements