cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support code 5012 on Canon MG5522

leaning
Apprentice

I have a Canon MG5522 and it is completely disabled by an error support code 5012. When I Google, I get that is a "printer error" which isn't helpful. I've tried various reset procedures, but they don't work. I've tried disconnecting the power cord for minutes and hours, and that doesn't work either.

So, right now, the On light is flashing, the yellow triangle with the lightning bolt is flashing, and that 5012 warning is on the display. None of the the buttons work except ON. All of the ink cartridges are removed.

Anyone know what causes that error and how to fix it?

I appreciate your help.

leaning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After no luck in my repair efforts, I was forced to throw-in the towel. Canon Loyalty Service recommended a MX922 because it uses the same ink cartridges as the broken 5522, but when I check out the reviews for the MX922, they have the same problem in that they shut down and fail with an error code and can't be fixed. So, we don't want to deal with that again, so we are not looking at Canons, and instead checking out HPs and Kodaks to see if we can find a reliable printer that if it has a problem, it tells you in plain language ("Paper is out", "Paper stuck under print head", etc.) instead of cryptic "5012", "GLYXPH" "%$^$%" etc. errors that nobody knows what sensor is seeing that problem or how to fix it.

BTW, the Loyalty Program price Canon quoted is about $20 more expensive than if I bought that same new printer elsewhere, so I don't think Canon is serious about that. And even though this printer looks brand new, Canon says they don't refurbish them or update them with a trade-in program; they said it should be recycled.

Anyway, not a good story and I hope nobody else has to go through this.

Here are the communications if anyone needs them. (Also, as you can see, different techs told us different causes for the same error code, and neither knew the location of the specific sensor and where it was looking, so they both gave us generic troubleshooting rather than true detailed, focused, knowledgeable technical help.)

Tech #1:
5012 indicates that your printer has encountered an internal hardware malfunction. Please follow the steps below.
1. Check the inside of your printer for jammed paper and obstructions. Click the following link for details.
2. Next, make sure that your ink tanks are inserted correctly.
3. Finally, unplug the power cord from the back of your printer for twenty seconds. Plug the power cord back in after twenty seconds have passed, and turn your printer back on.
Your printer will need to be replaced if these steps do not resolve the issue. You are eligible for the Canon Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. We will also include free ground shipping with your purchase. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

Tech #2:
It appears that the 5012 error is related to the scanner. It could be different electronic things in the MG5522 which can cause this. In our troubleshooting we are limited in what we can do because we cannot go inside the MG5522 to test anything like a service center can do. Try is to open the cover like you are checking the ink. Turn the MG5522 on. When the ink carriage comes to the middle, close the cover. If it still has the error, it requires service. (Note: the tech did not understand that with this error, the ink cartridge doesn't move when the power is turned on. It can be moved manually, but you have to turn the wheel in the back so the paddle/gate can be moved back so the ink catridge can move.)

Service Locator on Canon website:
PIXMA MG5522: Product Repair: Service is No Longer available for This Product: Please be advised that repair service is no longer available for this product. However, in appreciation of your continued loyalty, we would like to fully understand your immediate needs and offer an alternative solution. If possible, Please call us toll-free at 1-866-481-2567 to discuss available options.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jenine
Rising Star

Hello Leaning!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at usa.canon.com/support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Jenine:

I am using Windows 10, but this printer isn't connected to my laptop. Do you think a 5012 error is caused by my operating system or software or my laptop?

(Right now, it's just a printer on a table with a power cord, no cartridges, and a locked-in 5012 error on the display.)

Do I need to plug it into my computer to stop the error?

(And I don't know what other details you need about the printer itself. I described everything in my post.)

??

Regards,

leaning

Hi leaning,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick,

Thanks! I'll contact them and then post their reply to this forum in case anyone else has this problem.

Regards,

leaning

After no luck in my repair efforts, I was forced to throw-in the towel. Canon Loyalty Service recommended a MX922 because it uses the same ink cartridges as the broken 5522, but when I check out the reviews for the MX922, they have the same problem in that they shut down and fail with an error code and can't be fixed. So, we don't want to deal with that again, so we are not looking at Canons, and instead checking out HPs and Kodaks to see if we can find a reliable printer that if it has a problem, it tells you in plain language ("Paper is out", "Paper stuck under print head", etc.) instead of cryptic "5012", "GLYXPH" "%$^$%" etc. errors that nobody knows what sensor is seeing that problem or how to fix it.

BTW, the Loyalty Program price Canon quoted is about $20 more expensive than if I bought that same new printer elsewhere, so I don't think Canon is serious about that. And even though this printer looks brand new, Canon says they don't refurbish them or update them with a trade-in program; they said it should be recycled.

Anyway, not a good story and I hope nobody else has to go through this.

Here are the communications if anyone needs them. (Also, as you can see, different techs told us different causes for the same error code, and neither knew the location of the specific sensor and where it was looking, so they both gave us generic troubleshooting rather than true detailed, focused, knowledgeable technical help.)

Tech #1:
5012 indicates that your printer has encountered an internal hardware malfunction. Please follow the steps below.
1. Check the inside of your printer for jammed paper and obstructions. Click the following link for details.
2. Next, make sure that your ink tanks are inserted correctly.
3. Finally, unplug the power cord from the back of your printer for twenty seconds. Plug the power cord back in after twenty seconds have passed, and turn your printer back on.
Your printer will need to be replaced if these steps do not resolve the issue. You are eligible for the Canon Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. We will also include free ground shipping with your purchase. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

Tech #2:
It appears that the 5012 error is related to the scanner. It could be different electronic things in the MG5522 which can cause this. In our troubleshooting we are limited in what we can do because we cannot go inside the MG5522 to test anything like a service center can do. Try is to open the cover like you are checking the ink. Turn the MG5522 on. When the ink carriage comes to the middle, close the cover. If it still has the error, it requires service. (Note: the tech did not understand that with this error, the ink cartridge doesn't move when the power is turned on. It can be moved manually, but you have to turn the wheel in the back so the paddle/gate can be moved back so the ink catridge can move.)

Service Locator on Canon website:
PIXMA MG5522: Product Repair: Service is No Longer available for This Product: Please be advised that repair service is no longer available for this product. However, in appreciation of your continued loyalty, we would like to fully understand your immediate needs and offer an alternative solution. If possible, Please call us toll-free at 1-866-481-2567 to discuss available options.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements