Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Printer not recognised as default

I am a new member of the Community and I am a senior and not very good with computing.  Today I began to set up a Canon MG6851 with my Grandson's Windows 7 laptop. I set it to function wirelessly.  My Grandson still uses an old version of the program  'Publisher' which they use at his school..  I was testing out the printer performance and trying to show him how to print directly from the computer. I created a new document in Publisher and printed it no problem.  I had set the Canon as the default printer in 'Devices and Printers'.  However, when I tried to print a couple of older files which had previously been printed using a Samsung Mono printer, which my daughter utilises for work, the computer tried to seek connection with the Samsung, even though I still had the Canon selected as the default printer.  After some time I found that I needed to go into the file menu and manually selct the Canon printer on the printer set-up  sub menu option.   This was confusing for me ! Why did the default printer setting not merely kick in and print from the Canon?  As I say, if the document was newly created and had not been previously been printed via the Samsung then there was no issue!  I assume that if the Samsung was removed from the listed devices this clash would cease?  Or, perhaps the computer would continue to seek the Samsung?  I am confused why this is happening.  My grandson and I are both used to merely pressing print and the computer finding the default printer and executing the task without having to manually select the printer in this way.  I am sure I am missing something due to my inexperience.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.