cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make MP Navigator EX work with MX922

naeduk72
Contributor

I had an MX895 until earlier this week until it started to tell me that the wrong print head was installed. I have been so pleased with the MX895 that I immediately "upgraded" to the MX922. Not only is this printer missing a sheet feeder (and the second paper tray is too small for A4 paper), the software solution is appalling.

I receive around 10-20 mail items each day, which results in anywhere between 10 and 50 pages.

I put the documents in the ADF and MP Navigator EX scans them all while I am busy with other work. I then have my 50 thumbnails on the screen.

I tick (for example) 1,2,3 and 4, and save it as a PDF. I then tick 5, and save it as a PDF, and so on..... This means that the entire job takes around 10 mins to complete. Scanning 50 separate pages will take over an hour, and even scanning the 10-20 mail items individually will take a lot longer than scanning the entire stack of post together.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get MP Navigator EX to work with the MX920 series? Perhaps a registry hack or something?

Otherwise, does anyone know of any alternative software that can:

- Scan a large number of pages and show as thumbnails

- Save batches of the pages as single pdf files (not ALL of the scanned documents, but only those selected), each with their selected file names

- Auto rotate (essential) and doc fix (nice to have) the scans

- Save as a searchable pdf

I have found that I can do all of this with a combination of about four different software applications, but it will take nearly as long as scanning each document individually.

I really hope someone can help with this, as I am extremely disappointed with Canon and am looking at tracking down a second hand MX895, just to be able to use the software, which seems ridiculous.

Thank you for your help.

16 REPLIES 16

naeduk72
Contributor

Bump - is a product expert able to help with this query please?

How do we get an answer / comment on this query please? I'm looking for a suitable solution or replacement to MP Navigator EX and have not yet found one. It is urgent.

Jamie36
Apprentice
naeduk72 have you found anything to replace the MP Navigator EX or anything that is comparable? It looks like our situation is very similar as far as our scanner uses. I loved the feature that you could scan in multiple pages & then pick where you needed certain pages to go. That is such a time saver & I have been searching for something that is compable and like you I am desperate to find a solution & just wondered if you have made any headway yet.
Thanks for any input you can give me or any input from anyone else that may be in this same situation.

Hi Jamie

Yes, I have, in fact! I'll use this as an opportunity to rant about how disppointed I am in Canon. It is clear from both the US and UK forums that many users have missed MP Navigator EX. These are all loyal Canon users who have upgraded their printers to newer models and assumed that Canon wouldn't have downgraded the software in the meantime.   Users have asked why the software doesn't work, whether it can be made to work and have begged for Canon to implement it. The response has never been any more helpful than "It doesn't support the Canon MX922," which has left many users high and dry. The "support" forum is also a farce. You will see that I posted three requests above, none of which were answered. It seems that the forum system is used so that Canon can pick and choose which technical support problems they actually answer, ignoring those that might raise a bit of a contentious issue. Users would like to know WHY the excellent software was left out of the latest printers/scanners. Is it being completely redeveloped? Is there a genuine technical reason why the software couldn't work with the MX922? Or (most likely) was one of the components in the software too expensive and was removed in a cost-cutting exercise?Smiley Mad

Rant over.

Yes, it took many hours and I tested about 10 different scanning / pdf apps and finally found Foxit PhantomPDF. It's not free - about $90 after the first month. It crashes a lot and the English used in the help pages / dialog boxes is a bit "special" .

I appreciate that $90 is a lot of money, but it was essential for my business, as Canon left me up a creek without a paddle. I will recoup this extra cost by never using a genuine Canon ink cartridge again in my life. If Canon can't support its users then we shouldn't feel the need to support its consumables. Sorry, I'm ranting again.Smiley Sad

It is a bit fiddly to get to work with the scanner in the first place. You need to enable the TWAIN driver and scan using the "Convert from scanner" option in the menu, Do'nt try to configure the scanner from the PhantomPDF software. I tried for ages, and it loses your saved settings every time it upgrades. Just choose scan and let it open the TWAIN / ScanGear window. I get best results using the presets in Basic mode (Document (Greyscale) ADF Duplex) etc., rather than tweaking the settings in advanced mode. The software will scan all of your documents into one big pdf. Save the big document as you will lose all of your scans if the software crashes.

The silver lining is that, once it is working, it is much better than MP Navigator EX.

Using the 'Organise' tab, you can drag and drop the pages of the document into any order you wish. You can "Extract" pages into new documents and save each document as a separate file. The OCR is excellent - it recognises far more text than the MP Nav software although it is much slower. You can set it to OCR as it scans, or select the pages to OCR once it's scanned.

Funnily enough, I've barely used the PhantomPDF for its real pupose - as a PDF editor. It's very useful for highlighting paragraphs and adding notes. It's also got a PDF virtual printer which is the first that I've found that allows me to print password-protected PDFs to an unprotected PDF file, which is essential for my work.

As it's not Adobe or Microsoft (or Canon, for that matter), support for registered users is via a support ticket system, giving a personalised response within a couple of days. There is the occasional misunderstanding, as English doesn't appear to be their first language, but we managed to resolve my initial setup problems.

Sorry for the long response but I hope you find this useful.

Nick

Sorry but my MX922 is packed up and ready for return! I have been using Canon products since I bought an F1 SLR camera in 1972... How far they have fallen! Unbelievable! Im going to try and get my MX700 repaired because it was working fine and just quit one day... Programmed obsolescence! Or switch brands, thanks for the info.

@Dkfoshee wrote:

Sorry but my MX922 is packed up and ready for return! I have been using Canon products since I bought an F1 SLR camera in 1972... How far they have fallen! Unbelievable! Im going to try and get my MX700 repaired because it was working fine and just quit one day... Programmed obsolescence! Or switch brands, thanks for the info.

After 5 hours of setting this dang mx922 up and trying to scan - now I find no MP Navigator....glad I still have my MP830 and the installation cd. There is no scanning/saving capability on this 922 as far as I can find....BOOOOO Canon. What were you thinking? you just lost a 15 yr customer!

Back the useless MX922 goes to Amazon...Monday is the soonest they will pick it up...sigh...want my money back

@Dkfoshee wrote:

Nick, 

Thanks for the info -

Rather "chaps my hide" to think I have to fork out more money to get the scanner to do what I originally purchased it for!

So, So Done - 

Unless they fix the MPNavigator MX I'll never ever purchase anther cannon printer again. 

This is one of the worst business decisions I've seen in a while in my opinion - why piss off and lose customers left and right -  and we are just the ones taking time to talk to them, think of all the customers who aren't taking the time.

Lynne 

Ceejay_rvp
Apprentice

Wow, the MP Navigator is a big selling point for me and my small business. I've recommended Canon products for years to all of my reps, family, and friends. Absolutely loved the MX860 - have three of them and now two MX922's. Scanning is a big part of our business and I often have to teach non-techies how to process, scan, upload, file, etc. The MP Navigator suite made is so easy to teach and you didn't include support for the 922. You've lost me and everyone else I will talk to as customers for "Canon" printers, all in ones, etc. Probably one of the dumbest decisions your product team has made. Off to Social Media to spread the word.

cscott
Apprentice

i too am DISAPPOINTED in Canon's decision to not update Ex Navigator.  it was easy to use, fast and EFFICIENT. 

Bring it back!

Announcements