cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make MP Navigator EX work with MX922

naeduk72
Contributor

I had an MX895 until earlier this week until it started to tell me that the wrong print head was installed. I have been so pleased with the MX895 that I immediately "upgraded" to the MX922. Not only is this printer missing a sheet feeder (and the second paper tray is too small for A4 paper), the software solution is appalling.

I receive around 10-20 mail items each day, which results in anywhere between 10 and 50 pages.

I put the documents in the ADF and MP Navigator EX scans them all while I am busy with other work. I then have my 50 thumbnails on the screen.

I tick (for example) 1,2,3 and 4, and save it as a PDF. I then tick 5, and save it as a PDF, and so on..... This means that the entire job takes around 10 mins to complete. Scanning 50 separate pages will take over an hour, and even scanning the 10-20 mail items individually will take a lot longer than scanning the entire stack of post together.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get MP Navigator EX to work with the MX920 series? Perhaps a registry hack or something?

Otherwise, does anyone know of any alternative software that can:

- Scan a large number of pages and show as thumbnails

- Save batches of the pages as single pdf files (not ALL of the scanned documents, but only those selected), each with their selected file names

- Auto rotate (essential) and doc fix (nice to have) the scans

- Save as a searchable pdf

I have found that I can do all of this with a combination of about four different software applications, but it will take nearly as long as scanning each document individually.

I really hope someone can help with this, as I am extremely disappointed with Canon and am looking at tracking down a second hand MX895, just to be able to use the software, which seems ridiculous.

Thank you for your help.

16 REPLIES 16

catlady125
Apprentice

i, also, am very disappointed that MP Navigator EX 5.1 doesn't work with my new PIXMA MX922. My old MX890 had a 'fatal error' and died recently. RIP! I HATE all the cutsy stuff that has been added, i.e.,  "MY IMAGE GARDEN"--REALLY!!!!

I can scan with the PC interface and the control panel on the printer.  I had to enter my SSID and password manually as doing it with WPS did not work for my ATT router.

I was able to download necessary files for Macbook Pro 17" 2007 OS X El Capitan v 10.11 and Macbook Pro 15' 2017 OS X Sierra v 10.12.6.  Received same error as seen here "Cannot communicate with printer" error.

I received a DVD with printer software with the printer but it did not contain what I needed just a link that opened a web page when I chose my OS for each Macbook.  I bought an external optical drive for optical drive software since the 15" has no optical drive.  You don't need the DVD, you can go to the below site.

I went to Canon's site using link from the DVD https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-s...

I think Register Product here is required.  Despite my registering it elsewhere this particular location seemed to make everything work wrt getting the right files and having them install without issue.

The site detected MACOS Sierra v10.12 (it also auto-detected correctly with my El Capitan Macbook Pro)

Click on Drivers & Downloads

Click Select on the three listed drivers

Select MX920 CUPS Printer Driver Ver 16.20.0.0

Download mcpd-mac-mx920-16_20_0_0-ea21_3.dmg 

Select MX920 Scanner Driver Ver.19.1.0b

Download msd_-mac-mx920-19_1_0a-ea11.dmg

Select Optional ICA Driver Ver.4.0.0.a-ea11.dm

Download misd-mac-ijscanner5-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg

Double click on each file and install them according to instruction

Go to System Preferences - Printers & Scanners

Click the + and add Canon MX920 series  Bonjour Multifunction

Check Share this printer on the network 

Turn Printer Sharing on

Click Sharing Preferences add Users if needed

Your installation should have placed files you need in the Canon Utilities folder

In IJ Scan Utility folder double click Canon IJ Scan Utility this is the new MP Navigator Ex from what I can tell.

The Canon IJ Scan Utility interface will open 

Click to choose Product Name and change to Canon MX920 series Network (this got rid of the error unable to communicate) . If I left it as the default (Canon MX920 series I get the cannot communicate error)

You can now set your scanning preferences by double clicking Auto etc

Click OK on the message Scan by automatically selecting the settings......

The on-screen manual is less useful for settings info than the online manual.

I know this is an old thread. But I was trying to scour the internet looking for the same solution to this problem and was surprised to see that it hasn't been fixed or no one has made a workaround. Tried to use the scan utility or whatever and it wasn't cutting it for me.

Anyways, I used what little programming skills I had and basically made a device profile for the MP Navigator software for it to work. I used the MX870 series file as a base since that was the last MX printer to support MP Nav. I only did basic testing with default settings and it works so far. Looks like I can use the scanner driver (scan gear) if I want more advanced settings and it'll output it directly to the navigator still. I can now scan multiple pages and actually pick the ones I want to save into a PDF.

The only thing that I found that doesn't work is the order that it's displayed when scanned (when trying to change it in the settings). It pretty much just goes the order it was scanned in. You can just put the documents facing up to go in order, or just organize it on the timeline thing at the bottom of MP Nav I guess.

I have only tested this with MP Navigator EX 5.0 (the one that show for download for my previous printer, MG6220). In theory, it should work with MP Navigator 3.1 or whatever comes with the MX870 considering that was where the source file was located.

Here's the file for anyone that wants to give it a try:

[Removed third party link per Community guidelines]

You want to put it in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\MP Navigator EX 5.0\Device

Then you need to open preferences and on the general tab, select the mx920 printer, when you open MP Navigator.

On another note, ADF duplex takes forever to scan for me. Is that normal? This was like this when I was using the stock utility. If anything, using the MP Nav seems to be slightly faster, but I still consider it to be slow compared to my old printer.

Zews
Contributor

I have also been a dedicated MP Navigator EX user for many years. After spending several hours in two separate phone calls to Canon support and finding out that the support staff was not able to help me, I figured it out on my own.

Please note, that I use Mac OS X, Version 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

I can now happily report that the Canon IJ San Utility, the replacement of MP Navigator, that works with my new MX 922 does in fact work very well and is indeed a great improvement. The trick is getting the correct IJ Scan Utility installed on your computer.

After installing the different drivers etc. from the included disc (after a special install software download) I got an error message every time that told me that ScanGear failed to install each time. I could not get around that. I searched online for a MP Navigator replacement and ended up with "Canon IJ Scan Utility2". I found it here: [Removed 3rd party link per Forum Guidelines]  Although it works fine for scanning do not get this, as it is the wrong utility. I'll explain below.

The interface looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.10.56 PM.png 

Note the button on the right that says "Driver". Pressing that button opens the Apple Image Capture interface,

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.59.04 PM.png

but not a familiar MP Navigator like interface. However the user's manual "MX920ser_Scanning_EN.pdf", on page 82 clearly shows the ScanGear software interface. And on page 6 of that same manual the IJ Scan Utility also looks different. It does not have that "Driver" button. It has a "ScanGear" button. 

So I ended up at Canon's driver download page at http://tinyurl.com/h6pbbqt.

Here I downloaded the following 2 files: 

misd-mac-ijscanner5-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg.  Under "Optional Driver(s)". This is the IJ Scanner5 driver 

and

msd_-mac-mx920-19_1_0a-ea11.dmg. MX920 series Scanner Driver Ver.19.1.0b (Mac). This is the ScanGear_MX920 series software. After installing that second package, this is what my Canon IJ Scan Utility interface looks like now.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.34.28 PM.png

Notice the difference with the previous image. It is Scan Utility instead of Scan Utility2. And it has the ScanGear button on the right.

This is what I get now when I click on the ScanGear button. The very familiar MP Navigator like interface we all wanted back so much. Including Basic and Advanced Modes.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.41.22 PM.png

And after scanning multiple pages like for multiple page .pdf files I again get this.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.48.09 PM.png

So, obviously the MP Navigator replacement for the MX922 printer does in fact exist, and is also better. There are a few things to learn still, like stitching which I would previously do in Photoshop after scanning. That was always a pain. We'll see how it works with the new Scan Utility.

This is of course good news for Mac users. Obviously I don't know if the same is true for Windows users.

I hope this helps all the frustrated former MP Navigator EX users who have Macs, and possibly also Windows users.

Good luck.

When I'm in scan gear the images of the scanned document (last photo in your post) are in a tiny box I can barely see. And I can't click on the tiny image to see in full size and I can't click a box to select ot deselect to either skip pages or put in different order for save. Is the above last photo a pop up box that opens up after the image is scanned (I think it's called preveiw mode) or are those images within the box that is Scan Gear the way Navigator worked? Can you click on the image to see it in larger format? Can you select or deselect images? Hopefully this question makes sense. And thank you for your thoughtful post.

"So, obviously the MP Navigator replacement for the MX922 printer does in fact exist, and is also better."

You're way off base; you need to re-read the very first post of this thread posted 2/16/2015 and the post following your post posted 12/15/2017.

The missing features pointed out by naeduck72 are perhaps the most importaint features for frequents scanners.

Sad no real solution yet.  😞

waltgoede
Contributor
Me too. Will never buy another Canon anything. MP navigator worked well until I upgraded to high sierra and now all older canon printers can't scan anymore. Shame on canon. I have a Mx870
Announcements