cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Mine died too and there are so many complaints about the printer just stopping that I felt compelled to post something. Beware of Canon

RunMonkeyMama
Apprentice

Add me to the list, it litterally died mid-print, with a piece of paper still halfway out.  Darn, I was really hoping there was an easy fix.  I guess I'm just glad it died after my finals were done.  Can anyone reccomend another printer that won't die so easily?

Don't anyone be offended at this simplistic solution, because it worked for me. I had just moved my MX882 to another desk and plugged it in. It would not turn on. I double checked the plug at the power bar---A-OK there. I finally spent 20 minutes on this forum reading about all the same problems people have had with their Pixmas. Then I looked in back for possibly a reset button. Where's the black power cord plugged in? Oops!!! It had fallen out in the move. Make sure it's plugged in tight. My Pixma is over four years and cases of paper old. Works for me.

Gary,

I am happy this worked for you

You are one of the lucky ones

I tried this, and even replaced the power cord. Looked at every possible solutions

Hey Gary;

This is of course one of the several different things I tried while attempting to revive my Canon printer.  You're lucky your solution was so simple.

I think for most users, the problem is internal.  Something Canon should fix.

If you read some of the posts earlier in this thread, you'll find a woman who's solution was to contact the president of Canon (this was not quick, and became a process).  I guess she made herself annoying enough, he had one of his assistants contact her re: a replacement printer (for free?).

This is the solution Canon should take on it's own with ALL the customers who have this problem regardless of the warranty dates - it's just common sense - they created the problem, not the clients.

Customer support SHOULD be their first concern (then maybe reliable products?), not profits and expansion.

Gery keep your fingers crossed and your plugs tight.

Well I ditched my Canon that stopped working and I couldn't bring myself to purchase another Canon. I had two within three to four years die on me. I had thought of pursuing Canon for a replacement but I didn't think they would make any effort to redeem themselves. I purchased the Epson Workforce WF-3640 for a decent price. Goodbye Canon!

aquanode
Apprentice

Another one bites the dust, PIXMA PRO-100 here, completely unacceptable, didn't realize this was a problem with Canon until reading all of your posts.

Complete garbage, this is unacceptable, will not be buying Canon again.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but as you can see, it is not uncommon.

Maybe, just maybe, if enough broken Canon printer people let Canon

know they are loosing customers, they may fix the problem - or at

least be more responsive when customers are looking for help.

Can you imagine how many people with broken printers out there

are NOT posting their problem?

Good luck with your next printer.  Looks like many people are

going to Epson - I got an HP (and am still very happy with it).

If you get something else, let everyone know, especially Canon.

Thanks Nebnetto, I'm specing an Epson right now, thuroughly disappointed with Canon! I had mistakenly taken their good reputation from the camera market and thought I could expect the same in print. C'est la vie.

My machine was only 3 months old.

aquanode

Hey, if your printer is only 3 months old, I would definitely get it fixed under the warranty.  (And maybe still

buy another make of printer - so you  would have one while the Canon is being fixed, and for the next

time the Canon craps out.)

If there any costs involved to get the Canon fixed i.e.: shipping, insist that Canon pick up the cost.  After all,

it's not you fault their products keep breaking.

Either way - good luck with your new Epson.

Announcements