cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Hello there;

My name is Marco and i'm form Italy and add my pixma mx885 to the count... It just died printig a single word page. I bought it 24 mounths ago so it's out of warranty now... And there is no way to turn it on again now.

Any idea where the problem comes from? Did anyone solved this issue just replacing the power supply unit?

Edit: Just talked to a Canon Service center near here... and guess waht? they offered me a discount on the pixma MX922...Unbelievable...and unacceptable.. Same behaviour in different countries.. 😞

This has happened to me too. started printing a document and POOF all lights go out on the printer. tried different outlets and strips. Did not read through every page of the thread...did anyone get any progression?? ~2 year life span for an expensive printer is not what I was expecting when first purchasing the unit. Safe to say I will not be buying Canon products anymore if they can't provide a fix?

Unfortunately the service shop told me that the problem is not coming form the power supply unit wich is still working as intended but from the logic card (wich cost around 250$) wich simply deny the printer to turn on...This is build in obsolescence guys.. deal with it and move to something else... I've already bought an Epson Expression Premium xp-810. Can't find any comment about premature death about epson printers so I hope the new printer will last more than the 2 programmed years of canon pixma printers..(try to google "canon pixma doesn't turn on"... lol)

Sigh. Same thing happened to me. 18 month old Pixma. I loved it until now ... totally unacceptable for a multi-function printer to suddenly die after only 18 months. I was not a heavy user of it either. 

Don't buy anything Canon from now on. I know I won't be buying anything Canon from now on - printers, camcorders, cameras, you name it. 

Also, for those stuck with a dead printer, see if you bought your printer using VISA/Mastercard/AmEx within the last two years. If you can find the receipt and the credit card statement, you can most probably get your money back as most credit card companies extend the warranty protection by 1 year. I just got my check back from VISA for the amount of the printer and my printer broke down 4 months before the 2 years were going to expire. 

And fire Canon!!!

I'm sorry to still hear people are having these printer "failures".  Looks like we are all being ignored by Canon.  One would think that we may have heard something from them by now, but I guess profits trump good customer relations.

I have spent thousands of dollars on Canon products during my life time, but that has ended when this last printer died.  No more Canon products - any of them (too bad I bought my wife a Canon D3200 camera last Christmas).

My HP multitasking printer is still humming along - only problem was during a power outage.  I guess even HP's still need electricity . 

I hear ya nebnetto,

Being an EET I thought perhaps I could have remedied a few of the problems but was hindered and severely un-successful! I've moved on to the Brother!!  So far? It's been good! I have printer/scanner/faxinoiya tho and I'm just Petrified it'll happen again!!!  NOOOOOOOOOO!

I went into a Staples / Business Depot store yesterday to replace my 2 year old Pixma 892 that suddenly stopped turning on. I really liked other features of the Pixma so I asked their electronics department staff, "What Canon can I buy that won't die in two years?" His reply? "None. They all die after about a year or two years now." So I bought a Brother - same features, way cheaper ink. Bye bye Canon from a formerly happy customer....

Good to see not everyone drinks the kool-aid.

You cannot be any worse off with another brand.  At worst, it dies after the warranty

is over (just like a Canon).  At best, it lasts past that second year and you're ahead

of the game Canon is playing.

Good luck.

If anyone else is fed up with Canon's lack of quality and deffinate disrespect for it's

customers - buy a different product . . .  and let everyone know it.

HP still running great.

Ditto with a variation, Mine turns on and immediately throws an error and dies,

Light use, now it throws error 6901. And it sits there.

The official support reply is "unplug from the wall, plug back in, and if it fails again to start send it in for service"

A JOKE.

Announcements