cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Hello,

You have not been infiltrated. I am in no way affiliated with Canon except that I am a customer. If you review all the posts in the thread of this forum, which is what I did before I decided to take action and write to the CEO of Canon, you will see that I like you experienced the same tragedy of a malfunctioning MX 892 printer. I shared this information hoping that it will bring resolution to those of you who wanted it.

Hi Connieanna -

Sorry if you interpreted my post as "angry".  Quite the opposite.  I am not angry with anyone (unless you call corporations people, in that case I AM angry with Canon Corp.)

I am tickled pink Abroomes finally got through to someone at Canon who could do something.

But maybe you could help me out with some questions:

1. Is it appropriate for a product to stop working after a short time (i.e.: a few months after the warranty runs out)?
  2. Should a company stand behind its product, regardless of the calendar?
  3. Should a customer spend hours - trying to fix the problem and communicating with the manufacturer (i.e.: looking on the internet for solutions, contacting customer support, writing letters to the CEO of the company)?
  4. Why is the corporate solution for ME to spend more money on a obviously flawed product?
  5. Why DOESN’T Mr. Schimmel read the customer boards (or have one of his staff check the boards now and then and notify him when a “major” problem begins to develop )?

Please don’t interpreted this as a post angry with you or anyone else. I just think it is a very sad state of affairs when a customer HAS to write to the CEO to get a problem resolved. Isn’t that what “Customer Service” is for?

ConnieAnna, I already made up my mind – I bought an HP.

No anger involved

-B

Hello,

I am glad I got a response as well. I wrote a couple letters and decided to mail one out every week. I only mailed out two by the time I got a response. I still had 2 more left to mail. During the conversation Mr. Schimmel stated that he did not know why the model printer I bought was not working, I replied well it's not just my model, if you look on the forum, you will see multiple complaints about the same model. His response was that he is not addressing that right now, which is why I decided to share with all of you my road to resolution. Hope this helps.

Same question, please 🙂 Smiley Happy

Hello All,

I just want to add my two cents to this forum.  In the past i have always been very pleased with Canon products.  I purchased my Canon MX 892 printer about 16 months ago because I wanted a wireless printer.  My previous Canon printer was not wireless and that was my main reason for replacing it as it was functioning perfectly.  I should have kept it.  My printer has been very lightly used since I purchased it.  When I turned it on recently I had a low ink message so I opened the printer and checked the cartridge and it did need rreplaced.  When I closed the printer it turned off by itself.  I lthen followed Canon's instructions to  unplug the cord for 3 minutes and it did turn back on.  At this point I rremoved the empty cartridge and truned off the printer.  I just received new cartridges today and when I tried to turn on the printer it would not turn on.  I then went through the same things I had done several days ago....and still no luck.  Then I stumbled upon the community and was appalled to find so many others who have had exactly the same problem.  I then contacted technical support and they could not help.  My choice now is to fix the printer....which after reading this forum does not seem like a good idea, or buy a new printer.  I have always been happy with Canon products, however I do not believe that I will be purchasing another Canon printer.  

houdini65
Apprentice

Add me to the list of people who's MX892 just up & died!!  A whole two days after the warranty expired.

Must have a chip inside that senses when the barcode is scanned when sold, thus arming it's self destruct mechanism!

Add me to the list...Mine just died too. Great opportunity to let canon go....they aren't what they use to be....here's to the B200 error.  What's the phrase I am looking for....oh yea, I hate you!

IMG_1150.jpg

cobrajunkie
Contributor

Mine just died yesterday after 12 months.  No lights, no nothing.  I had been using in my home office plus each of my 2 college girls have Canon printers as well as 2 canon cameras.   So tired of dealing with compnaies who won't acknowledge defective products.  Never again. Just purchased an Epson WorkForce WF3620.

Well I've joined the dead Pixma MX892 group too. I printed a page and then went to print another and it was totally dead. It was around 2 years old. It was a warranty replacement for another Canon. I did try customer service but that's a dead end. They offered to give me a discount on a new printer. They didn't seem to be concerned about my issue nor the fact that so many other people have the dead printer issue.

I've been pro Canon for several years but I'm thinking of buying another brand. This was my 2nd dead printer in less than 4 years. 

This is TOTALLY unexceptable!

kbre042a,

I got my Epson up and running in minutes on Mac OSX.  So far, so good.  Got it on Amazon the next day.

Announcements