cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Hi everyone,

If the procedure from Ramona above did not cause the unit to power back on, it may need service.  The best thing to do is get in touch with our US-based technical support team, who is ready to help via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

There is not a charge to reach technical support, and they can let you know the next steps.  Thanks!

frknswt
Apprentice

I am experiencing the exact same issue, although mine shut off in the middle of printing a 5 page document.  Unplugged from the wall for 10 minutes, removed power cord from printer, tried plugging in to other outlets, nothing.   

This is unacceptable.  The printer is just over a year old and apparently the only answer is to pay to send in the unit for servicing...This will be my first and last purchase of anything Canon.

vinnie1217
Apprentice

I printed a 2 page document on Friday morning which worked fine.  5 minutes later I hit the print button and nothing...my lightly used MX712 was powerless.  Tried the unplug routine several times and it's just dead.  I emailed Canon and they responded with a Canon Loyalty Program deal, so I called and it's basically a sales offer of 25% off the list price for a new model printer but not the same model, so all my unused ink cartridges would be wasted.  When I checked the price Canon quoted for a new MX922 at $129.99 with free shipping, I saw that Staples is offering the same exact price of $129.99 but...Staples has an additional $10 discount this week.  Obviously not a very impressive customer loyalty offer on Canon's part.

I really liked my MX712, and at this point will contact techical support on Monday to see if they can help solve the problem but based on all the posts on this board, I don't have much hope for a good resolution from Canon.  It's uncanny how many power failures are occuring in the last month as reported on this board, so it's clearly some type of defect.

v_frustrated
Apprentice

Another one bites the dust! Mine is a goner, too, and not responding to differnt cords/outlets/genres of music. Any help for us just out of warranty?

HI v_frustrated,

Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your out of warranty service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same thing happened to me. Coincidentally, the warranty JUST expired. Is this preplanned obscelescence?

I will contact Canon support tomorrow. If it ends how I suspect it will end, thus will forever end my relationship with and dedication to Canon.

That's exactly what it is.
Guess who won't be buying Canon printing devices anymore?

Add one more dead unit to the list. Mine just died last week. I finally got around to looking at it today and mine also had the B200 error. The reset procedure is a total joke, unplug the machine for 10 minutes. Duh thats the first thing everyone does. This is a load of crap that they won't even post what the B200 error means on this forum. This printer also always used an absurd amount of ink so I will not be trying any other Canon printers. No more Canon for me!

bt
Apprentice

My Pixma MX 892 also just broke down in the middle of printing 4 pages. Will not power up. Nothing helps. Printer is 17 months old. This is the 23rd one from June. This is clearly a defect and Canon, you must step up and fix this problem. I've been a loyal Canon customer and if this is not fixed by Canon at their expense I will not only never buy anything from Canon again but I'll be all over everywhere making this well know and I hope all you others with the same problem will do the same. I'll wait for Canon to provide a positive response and then my first stop is Amazon.

Hi everyone,

If the procedure from Ramona on the page before did not cause the unit to power back on, it may need service (or click HERE to read the post).  The best thing to do is get in touch with our US-based technical support team, who is ready to help via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

There is not a charge to reach technical support, and they can let you know the next steps.  Thanks!
Announcements