cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG7120 owners, is this sound normal?

mrzippy
Apprentice

I have a brand new Pixma MG7120 and I'm concerned it may be faulty, I did call Canon support and they claimed to test and unconvincingly said their printer made some noise too - although I will say it's hard to describe a noise over the phone.

Issue:

After powering on (or off) when it spins the rollers backwards slow and fast I hear a clicking/tapping sound, but only when the front door is closed, so it would seem to be something to do with the door latching mechanism.

Is this normal, it prints fine, I'm just concerned of part failure out of warranty if this isn't normal.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

mmendelscfi
Apprentice

I picked one up last week and it is making the identical sound.  When I open the output tray door it does not make the sound.

Sounds like it comes from the front of the unit.

It is annoyiong and I am considering returning the printer but don't want to if it's normal.

I'm surpised I didn't get more replies, but I feel happier at least someone else hears exacty the same thing... I wasn't sure the person at Canon support 100% understood what I was describing so I posted here to be sure.  The noise does appear to come from the printer door hinge area, so must be something to do with the release mecanism - maybe it rachects when the rollers spin backwards as when forwards it would normally open the door for printing... Still a strange design choice.

My printer does print 100% fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Thought I would post a quick follow up.  I went back to the place of purchase and turned the floor model on and off.

Same noise.  I guess it's normal.  Other than that I like the printer.  Does seem to have a significant amount of prep it goes through prior to actually printing a page so I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Yeah one review said something like 3 mins prep time, but print quality is good. I hope it isn't wasting loads of ink during that prep time!
Announcements