cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG6220 won't copy from cassette

MFJL
Apprentice

My Pixma MG6220 worked perfectly this morning when I made a copy, printing beautifully from the casette, which is my preference.

This evening, I need to make more copies, and I am suddenly getting an error message that the rear tray has no paper, and I must load it.  It simply won't print copies from the cassette.

The trouble is that I don't want to use the rear tray; I want to use the cassette.  I was not home all day, so no one touched the printer in the meantime.  No settings were changed.  Nevertheless, I looked at the manual and learned how to change the setting for paper source.  It was already set to cassette, but I confirmed this and tried again.  Same error message.

I run Mac OS 10.6.  My Pixma is 3 months out of warranty.  What on earth can I do?  I tried cleaning the rollers with no success, and I cannot find reference to this issue anywhere online.  I feel I am out of options.  Please help!

14 REPLIES 14

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello MFJL.

Please check your paper settings before attempting to print again. By default, the MG6220 will use the cassette tray when plain, letter size paper is selected.  If a specialty paper type such as photo paper or a smaller size is selected, the unit will use the rear tray.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to call us at 1-800-OK-CANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael   

I too have this issue. Printer will not print from cassette. Little more detail though, specifically the printer will not change the print source page selection when printing an email from outlook. I have an win  XP pro machine, and Office 2007 loaded. The printer works fine in word or a pdf reader like OpenOffice but something in outlook causes the setting to stubbornly refuse to print via casette. "Drivers", I thought and downloaded new canon drivers yesterday in hopes there was a bug fix...nope. The only fix that did was to make the conputer refuse to see the printer at all, even if I locally hooked the printer to the computer directly. So after an hour or two fighting with that (with multiple reboots) I deleted the downloaded, updated drivers and reloaded the cd that came with my printer.

TADA!!, suddenly the computer finds the printer again; however, outlook2007/print  still refuses to use the cassette, Usually we keep the photo quality paper in the rear tray.  Hitting print in outlook does 2 things, consumes my photo paper and prints out a 4x6 piece of my 8x11 email. Not a full email, just the 4x6 section of the middle of the top of an email. Even when (in outlook) selecting print options and saving it to use the cassette, the printer happily complains "the rear tray is empty" (I at least learned enough to take the photo paper out pf the rear tray). Even thought the cassette has  50 pages of 8.5x11 white paper in it, the printer only complains, "rear tray is empty". Now, the cassette is selected but the printer still warns that my "rear tray is empty". (Normally good to know, and  personally I prefer this condition). 

Referring to your post, this must be a print option. I save the autoselect page source option, nada...  "rear tray is empty". I try the "use cassette" option or any option, nada, "the rear tray in empty". The screen informs me (as I select "always use these print options"), that the system will overwrite any previous options when this check-box is selected. I smile and check that checkbox extra hard with my mouse. It saves the options and then, tries to print from the rear tray, complains the "rear tray is empty", and pops up a cute graphic window saying so. All previous versions of canon printers  in our house never had this problem even with the same OS and office program.

I'm an educated engineer, both Canon and Microsoft are very large corporations, so this post is like a David tossing rocks at 2 goliaths. Still it's Saturday morning and I've ruined my Friday afternoon and night  (and early Saturday morning) trying to noodle out why something so simple doesn't work. Today after fitful sleep, we had the time to scan the web in desparate search looking for any answer to this problem.

Your IVR at 1800OKCANON was so friendly when it asked what product I was calling about. It was also cheerful sounding as it informed me the product support for my Canon MG6220 is "now closed and please call again later" not when,.. just later. It might have finished with something about "during normal business hours". This is only an acceptable answer if you are local to me. If you are conducting business in Bangladesh, or Korea, the normal business hours there is not my normal business hours. Also, during normal business hours, I am also at work, conducting business. Not at home, not trying to print an email, I'm 25 miles away, doing business, during normal business hours.

Guess we will just have to do this the hard way. Will you help?

agrapha 

Hi Agrapha,

Your printer is designed to use the front cassette for only plain standard size prints.  Any setting in Outlook Express that relates to photo or specialty paper, or unique sizes may cause the unit to pull paper from the rear tray.  I recommend checking the type, quality, and size of your selected media in the Outlook Express print options.  Be sure it is set for plain paper 8 1/2 x 11 paper, with the default quality setting.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the MG5320 model. After two years of successfull printing, I too have fallen prey to the "rear tray" bandit. I don't think I can explain it any better than Agrapha. I'm just hoping for a solution. I have reset all of the default settings including Plain Paper, Letter 8.5"x11", Portrait orientation, and Standard print quality. The Paper Source changes from the new Rear default setting to Automatically Select. I click OK and then immediately return to Properties and the darn thing shows Rear again. Do it again, and again (I know - the definition of insanity) - same result. Try printing and I get the Rear Tray is emplty message. Very frustrating. I'm out of ideas and based on this thread, Canon Support doesn't have a handle on it either. Let me know if someone has an answer to this problem.

Well, if I'd only held off on my previous post for about five more minutes. I found my answer! For anyone who has this issue in the future: Last week I was messing around with some non-standard paper and made a change in a place I don't normally go. For the last week I have been trying unsuccessfully to make the correction in the Quick Setup tab in the Properties window. Because of this thread, and Michael's recommendation, I started poking around and found similar paper settings in the Page Setup window. This is accessed in the Print Style area (next to the Tab/Memo Style graphics) from the same Print window where Properties is accessed. I clicked on the Paper tab and lo and behold there was another Paper Source option there set to Rear Tray. I changed it to Automatically Select, clicked OK and Boom! problem solved. Hope this helps. 🙂

I, too, was having huge problems with this.  I changed all of the printer settings on the computer and applied them to have the copying done from the cassette tray to no avail.  Finally, I happened to think to change the settings on the printer itself.  Voila!  Problem solved for me.  Hope this helps someone.

I just went into the printer settings and went to "Do you want to go to the factory setting? from there I got to the cassette setting, and voila! Thanks!

This is the answer that helped me.  On the printer itself, go to Copy menu, then Print Settings.  Type was set to Matte.  I changed it to Plain Paper, and the copy function started feeding from the cassette again.  Two or three hours of my life I'll never get back!

what settings?

Announcements