cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG 7120 custom sized paper won't print from lower tray

gails559
Apprentice

I am trying to print a postcard 5.5" x 8.5".   I have set the paper size in Word 2007 and the print preview shows a correct positioning and orientation for the postcard.  I load the postcard into the lower cassette because that size will not fit in the upper cassette.  I tried to print without setting paper size guidelines to the printer (in the print dialog box) and to print setting the paper size, orientation etc. and the printer says that the upper cassette is out of paper.  The upper cassette won't accept any paper size over 5x7 so why is it defaulting to the upper cassette?  How can I print this size paper?

6 REPLIES 6

Ramona
Authority

Hi gails559,

The cassette tray that the printer will print from depends on the page size and media type selected in the printer driver; what media type do you have selected, and what operating system is on your computer?  Also, what is the weight (in lbs) of the paper you are trying to feed in the printer?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My OS is Windows 7.  The page size is 8.5 x 5.5 - half page postcard.  That size was selected in Word 2007 and in the printer driver by using the 'custom' size option and the measurements.  As to media type selected, I left it as the default 'standard' since there was not an option for cardstock.  I don't know the weight, but its a printed postcard from Vista Print so heavy cardstock.  It is glossy on the side that is not printed and matte on the side I was trying to print with the personalized information.  The printer driver does not allow you to choose upper or lower cassette.  Since the upper cassette prints a maximum size of 5 x 7 I can't figure out why it is trying to print a larger size from the upper cassette.  I did not specify photo paper.  I had to go to FedEx to have it printed, but this will come up monthly and would like to print at home.Thanks.

Hi gails559,

In reviewing the VIsta Print postcard specifications, it appears that the paper weight is 90 lbs.  Because of the weight of the cardstock, the paper may not be able to be fed in the printer.  Please note that we do not recommend using paper weights that fall outside of the 17 to 28 lb paper weight in the printer (other than Canon genuine papers), as they may jam or do damage to the printer.  More information on the paper recommendations for the printer can be found here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Good to know on the paper weight, but I couldn't get to the paper loading stage as the printer insisted on printing from the UPPER tray which will not take any paper size over 5x7, since this request was 5.5 x 8.5 it wont fit anywhere but the LOWER tray.  If I wanted to print a 1/2 page postcared size in a lighter weight cardstock, I would not be able to do that either.  Still looking for a solution to tell the printer to use the alternate tray.

"Good to know on the paper weight..."

Which was useful information, but had nothing to do with you question.

"...couldn't get to the paper loading stage as the printer insisted on printing from the UPPER tray which will not take any paper size over 5x7..."

Which was your actual question and has been ignored by everyone, for some reason, for the past six months.

SO! Let's try to get this thread back on track, since it's the first search result on Google for this issue.

How does one get their Canon MG7120 (or other Canon printer) to print CUSTOM SIZED paper from the LOWER tray?

Why can't we (or how can we) select custom paper sizes for EVERY type of paper. I don't have a degree in printerology, but it really doesn't make sense that there's not a "custom paper size" option for every type of paper.

gails559
Apprentice
Thank you for your observations, I've been paying to have my postcards printed for months, would still love a solution to custom print sizes for this printer!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements