cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pigmentd blk print problem

webfoot
Apprentice

Hello, newbie here.  Have been using Canon inkjet printers for some time and up to a week ago, had no reason to visit the forum due to any problems.

So here is the problem.   (Pixma 9420) Recently the wife was using her PrintMaster prgm and after printing noticed some black text wasn't printing.  No problem with color and some black that I would say were graphics and not straight text.  Did some checking and didn't see any issue until a did a nozzle check.  All looked OK except the pigmented black which showed nothing.Oh, at this point had not received any LOW INK message.

Here is what I've done so far without rectifying the problem:

* done several clean cycles.

* pulled the printhead.  Using some printhead cleaner put a few drops of the cleaner into the input for the pgbk cartridge.  The cleaner was absorbed quickly and the napkin I had the printhead sitting on showed the passages not to be cloged.  Put some more cleaner in to the port until the flow out was looking fairly clear.  At this point I put the printhead and carts back in the printer.

* Tried printing some plain text.  and did see the output.  The blk wasn't as dark as I would have liked to see it.

* Did another nozzle check and like before, nothing for the pigmented black.

(Not sure what is happening as the text previously printed was light but otherwise OK.)

* later last night the wife again was using her PrintMaster prgm and once again same black text was blank when printed.  Again colors were OK.

* this morning I looked into things again.  No output of text from a word processor.  Nozzle check again showed nothing for the pigmented black.

* Once again pulled the printhead and placed some cleaner in to the input port. Fluid flowing fine.

* after putting the printhead and cart back in I attempted to print some plain text.  I'm seeing output but like before not very dark.  Must have printer a doz pages to insure ink supply is down into the printhead.

* now went into the PrinMaster prgm and tried printing something that had some plain text in it.  Like before, all was OK except for the blk text was missing.  Edited the problem text and set the color to be a dark gray.  This time the text showed up as a dark gray.

*  did a nozzle check one more time and like in the past, nothing for the pigmented black.

I've not given up and decided to come here for possible help.  Anything you can offer would greatly be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing.  Have just replaced the computer.  Problem started on the old computer and nothing changed when I imgrated to the new one.

5 REPLIES 5

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi webfoot,

It sounds like your printhead is either damaged or malfunctioning.  If a clogged printhead is not cleared after several deep cleanings, then the unit will need to be serviced.

Because of the incredibly fine diameter of the nozzles on your printhead, we only recommend cleaning it with the "Cleaning" or "Deep Cleaning" procedures available on the printer.  Manually cleaning the printhead can introduce additional debris into the nozzles and cause more damage then it corrects.

At this point, I recommend contacting us to discuss your service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your reply.  Like to ask one question here, when using an app like a word processor and the text is black.  Does the printer always use the pigmented black ink?

I've used the clean and deep clean 2-3 time with no changes, on the nozzle check printout nothing for the pgblk but as I said before, when printing a doc from my WP there is output, not as dark as I think it should be but output just the same.  I don't see any missing dots, just a med to med-dark gray text.

Will contact you as you suggested.

As an aside, I now have a laser printer which is the principle printer and the Pixma printer is relagated to just color work, photo prints or the wife's cards.  The lasr printer is new as is this problem with the Pixma.

Again, thanks.

Hi again webfoot,

The pigment-based black ink is used for your document printing when plain paper is selected, you are doing single-sided printing, and your document contains black text.  This would be the ink that is used when printing in black from your word processing program.  If another color that is similar to black is selected in the word processing program, or if you are duplex (double-sided) printing, a combination of the color inks will be used to produce the text on the page.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Sorry this has taken me so long to reply.  Things have been busy around here including break-in to the house recently.

Another problem has surfaced.  This past week when I went to print something.  Received an error message, don't recall the error number at this point.  When I opened the lid I noted the print head had jamed near the parked position.  Printhead was lifted where it got jamed.  Cleared the jam and manuall returned the printhead back to the parked position.  Since then whenever I try and print something I get a B200 error.  Did some more inspection this morning and found the reason for the error.  The jam had unseated the printhead and suspect lost electrical contact.  Addressed that issue and now printer is back working.

Printed out a page or two and see still no pigmented blk.  Now is the problem with the replaceable printhead component or is it the contacts the printhead makes contacts with?

Since my primary printer for blk text is a laser printer, not having the pigmented blk isn't that big of an issue.

Oh, thanks for the reply about which inks are used under different print settings.  This is how I thought the ink was selected.  One thing I didn't know was on duplex printing the pigmented ink wasn't used.

Still busy so don't know how much attention I can devote to this problem.  Thanks for the response.

Hi webfoot,

It is difficult to say if the issue is with the printhead or the contacts the printhead makes contact with.  We recommend having the printer serviced to determine the exact cause of the issue.  Please click on the Contact Us link below to obtain servicing options.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements