cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA mx922 prints blurry.

afip4n6doc
Apprentice

Our PIXMA mx922 prints blurry.  I have already cleaned the encoding strip.  

When I print a black and white text document. some lines on a printed document are sharp and crisp, while others are faint and blurry.  These crisp and blurry lines alternate all the way down the page. 

When I print a mixed color and black text document (such as a screen capture of this current page), the color sections are sharp but the black ink sections are blurry as mentioned previously.

The blurry text almost looks like a double image of the letters.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

44 REPLIES 44

I realize this is an old post, but I also realize that people with this printer are still reading it...I just did. I have to say, don't expect Canon to help you if you've had this printer for more than a few months...they won't. I called corporate thinking that surely they would care about customer service...wrong, they said they are not obligated (yes, that is the word he used) to do anything. I run a small business and if I took on that attitude, we'd be out of business. The printer prints beautifully, if printing certain pdf's, but other documents it prints every few lines blurry, or not hardly at all. So, there is obviously some sort of glitch in the computer board (I'm not a technician, so it's probably called something else). They still sell this thing, and yet the man at corporate was trying to excuse it as well, maybe it's just an older model, no longer being sold. I've had issues with this after owning it only a few months...right after I couldn't return it. I managed to keep it printing, until this happened. I told the guy at corporate that as soon as  I got off the phone, I was buying a Brother printer, mainly because they offer support for the life of the priniter. He was unconcerned. Very frustrating that Canon, a company that has been around and had great customer support for decades, has gone to pots. Bye, bye Canon.

No loonger a loyal Canon customer.

The year is now 2023 - the problem still exists and no successful response has been posted.

Lol - I was just searching for a new printer then thought “no”! “There has to be a way to fix this!” Guess not. Looking for a camera too, steering clear of Canon. 

dpramest
Apprentice
I'm having the same problem. I've noticed that all the information that is set on a page prints clear, but any variant answers such as name, addresses, phone numbers are blurry. I've tried cleaning the encoder strip as well as deep cleaned x 3, and aligned the printer. I have the Pixma MG7120

Hi dpramest,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

my canon MX922 prints blurry from the PGBK ink only.  I did all the cleaning and deep cleaning and printer alignment and cleaned the encoder film. Even unistalled and reinstalled the drivers. Nothing helped. Canon knows about  this problem. It is very common. I set my printer to print on Premium Paper (like a photo) and it prints perfectly. This is a defect with this printer. For Canon to let this go is inexcusable. I will use this workaround until I've finished up all my extra ink then I will purchase a different brand.  This is my last Canon printer. 

Hi RandyRusconi,

Since the cleanings of the print head and encoder film and alignments have not resolved the blurry printing issue, the printer will require servicing.  We ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here to obtain servicing options available to you.  A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

wherfe do i find the encode thing and printheads?

TY

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If you are having issues with blurry prints, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

This seems to be a fairly common problem with the PIXMA MX922 and associated printer model.  The issue is well documented in this thread by other users.  I also reported this problem over 2 years ago.

In essence once this fault occurs, the printer will print a good clear line of text followed by 2 lines of blurred text.  The text characters on blurred lines seem to have a ghost image where each character has a second image slightly offset.  

The only workaround that has been found by this forum to work reliably is to modify the paper setting to photo grade.  Although this solution works with normal printer paper it is very slow and only supports single sided printing.     

Cleaning of print heads did not solve this problem for me.

Announcements